Following doctors orders and now I'm LOSING weight at 26 weeks...

At my 16 week appointment I was told that I was right on track with weight gain (I'd gained 15 pounds) but then when I went back at 24 weeks I'd gained 5 more pounds and I was told that I needed to "stop packing on the pounds" which was very hurtful. My doctor was very harsh and nasty with me and gave me a very specific diet to follow and has me counting carbs, grams of sugar, grams of fat and sodium. Well, I've been following his directions for the past 2 weeks and I've lost 5 pounds. I don't feel like I'm starving or anything but it definitely doesn't seem like I'm eating enough and I was always under the impression that weight loss during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters was an issue.

So my question is, is this an issue? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Find another doctor to get a second opinion. Do you have any health issues? how about with the pregnancy any issues? Are you a heavier set person pre pregnancy?

If you are a fairly normal weight and don't have any health issues or pregnancy issues I can't see why your doctor is having you monitor your diet so much.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Are you overweight to begin with? You might have just needed a better diet to be on for you and your baby, if you are fat to begin with, your doctor doesn't want you going overboard, no bashing, but I would say follow doctor's orders.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• So give us an idea of what you eating. What does a typical day look like?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• It's pretty normal. I was only allowed a 15 pound gain total. 15-30 overall is average and most of it will be that last trimester. No need to worry, but there's no need for him to say it like that.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• 1400 isn't enough for someone NOT pregnant. 2000 is normal,and you need an extra 200 for the baby,so 2200

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Were you overweight to start?? If so how much?? That plays a HUGE part in how much you actually NEED to gain!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I am wondering if he has simply given you a healthy iet. If it was too little you would be starving and craving foods. You are not so it sounds right. I am thinking that I was only supposed to gain a pound at each visit in the second and third trimesters
    I remember in my 7th or so month to be careful about adding weight as I did not want to make my delivery a hard one. Remember that I was in bed until the first week of my nineth month with each of mine. So adding pounds was more of a challenge than for most.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I was't overweight to begin with...

I was 135 pregnancy and I'm 5'5

I wasn't gaining much and then started gaining a bunch at a time. I was 150 at my 16 week and told that was fine and then went back and was 155 and got my face chewed off. Now I'm back to 150.

I eat egg whites and low fat/low sugar greek yogurt for breakfast.
    A whole wheat "slimwich" with low fat peanut butter and sugar free strawberry preserves for lunch.
    A plain baked potato with just a hint of butter and a grilled chicken wrap with a whole grain tortilla and blueberry pomegranate dressing.

I have a few snacks throughout the day: Raw carrots with no dip and celery. Wheat thins (1 serving). And low fat string cheese.

That was today's food and that's about what I've been doing each day. Plus drinking a ton of water and one glass of skim milk.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Are you diabetic?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I'm surprised he didn't say anything at your 16 week appointment. The basic recommendation is a total weight gain of 20-30 lbs so 15 lbs by 16 weeks is a lot. Maybe he didn't notice at the 16 week appointment and just noticed at this appointment that you had already gained 20 lbs?

Answer by missanc at 9:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2013