Boy/girl sleepovers

is it appropriate, at any age?

i think my 6 year old daughter is probably too old for them, which sucks because most of her friends are boys. we were talking about what she wants to do for her upcoming 7th birthday party this year, i suggested maybe instead of a big party somewhere, a small one at home and a sleepover after. she wants to invite her favorite friend that's a boy, and i said sure for the party, but he can't sleepover. i mean, it's not like i think they're going to have sex or do anything sexual at all. and there would be obvious supervision (me). but idk, something about it just seems inappropriate.

what's your take on this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• My sons always had several friends who were girls, and they were not "girlfriends". I allowed them to have mixed parties with sleepovers (every one in the living room in their own sleeping bag, and I was there too) until they got to junior high. Then they thought girls were just too icky to be bothered with, and so when they got to be interesting again (around high school age) they knew why I said no. Grade school kids play with the opposite sex a lot, and form lasting friendships. When they are little and innocent, I dont see a reason to put a weirdness damper on it... To be honest, I've worked with children who are sex offenders, and/or overly sexualized. If they are going to experiment, they are going to do it with siblings, cousins, close family friends, etc. Saying "none but family" does not make it "safer" .
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Since I have a boy and 2 girls I am a bit more flexible on this.
    I have had all of them have friends sleepover at the same time.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No boys overnight unless they're related

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I wouldn't be comfortable with it unless they're 5 and under.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• IDK. If I went out of town and couldn't bring the kids I would have a good friend watch them. Both DD and DS would stay at her house and she has two girls. They are all friends. I don't worry about that. I guess I should? He's 10 and the girls are 8 & 9. My DD is 8. I suppose it depends on how close your families are. If I didn't know the parents and the kid very well I would feel uncomfortable with that arrangement.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• i think it would depend.. if i only had a daughter then no boys. and if i only had a son then no girls.. but because i have each i think the sleepovers could be mixed..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 9:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• even when i got older. i had a sleepover at a boy in my classes house. me and a bunch of the girls in our grade were close friends and cheered with his sister (who was a yr younger) so when we slept over her house, we slept over his. he did hang out with us for awhile but i do believe he went to his room to sleep while the rest of us were in the living room. plus we were supervised (not that any of us had sex back then)
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 9:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• IDK but my Son will be 7 soon & he asks to have a slumber Party with a bunch of friends including girls too. He is still so innocent that I would be fine with it but since girls are far more mature than boys at that age, I doubt their Mom's would allow it. I think it's sweet though.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• The way you are saying. No way! But if you had a boy and a girl. That had sleep overs at the same time, but in different bed rooms. Would be ok.

Answer by louise2 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• so the consensus seems to be, if i had a son it would be okay. what if the kids all slept out in the living room, and i slept on the couch? (not trying to argue with anyone, just thinking of different scenarios)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2013