Teens Drinking Alcohol?

Do you allow your teens to drink alcohol at home? Hub and I and our 16 year old were on the patio last night all having a drink and our neighbor came over and made a couple rude remarks about my daughter having a drink. We don't have a problem with it as long as it's only at home and in moderation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• We have only done that on special occasions. Like allowing them to have A glass of champagne on New Years Eve. Luckily they never pushed to have it more often than that. I don't think I would make it a regular weekend thing, since it can send a wrong message that you need to have a drink to have a good time.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• No, not when they're under age because it sends the wrong message. in some states, the parents can be held liable for helping their children access alcohol. Just because you're a parent doesn't mean the laws don't apply to you. If you do that, you had better make sure no one else witnesses it. However, I don't think a few sips of a light wine/champagne hurt. In fact, my first experiences with alcohol were from drinking the wine at church, which actually deterred me from drinking alcohol. I didn't see what was so special about it. You should keep in mind though that kids will begin associating alcohol with social occasions, having a good time and as a reward, which promotes its image as something harmless. I would let her taste a very bitter, bad tasting wine/beer to deter her from it.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• No. The legal age is 21 and if they choose to drink at that time then they can. Being an adult has privileges and drinking alcoholic beverages is one of them. I also think alcoholism is partly genetic and there's no way of knowing if my child has an addictive personality or not - I try not to introduce bad habits. And then there's the whole damaging the dendrites in the brain that I choose not to start in my teens. Yes I have an alcoholic beverage every now and them but I think it might be more damaging to a brain that isn't fully developed.

Answer by missanc at 7:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I would maybe consider letting them have a sip of champagne on New Year's Eve, but that's about it. I don't think I would ever let them drink on a regular basis. They're underage, and there's just really no need for it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• In some states, as a parent you can legally allow your child to have alcohol (beer, wine, champagne) as long as it is at your residence and you bought it for them. We are in one of those states and we will make that decision when our son is a bit older. If he has good grades, good behavior, etc. then we may consider letting him drink a beer on a special occasion.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• We are in a state where it's legal with parents and I think allowing a teen to have a drink once in a while takes the mystery out of drinking. Our oldest is 16 and if she asks for a drink on occasion dh and I don't have an issue with it. And not once has she gone to any of the teen drinking parties that are very common around here. I'd rather them learn to be responsible with alcohol. But I also think it's up to each parent to decide and what they are comfortable with.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• We never allowed our sons to drink at home. It was never an issue with us.
    I don't drink and DH may have a glass of wine or a beer on an occasion, but the kids just never brought it up.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 8:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• you're surprised that your neighbor didn't high five you for drinking with your underage child?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Maybe if we were big beer drinkers we would be ok with it occasionally but e aren't and I'm not sharing my wine ;-) sooo..

I really think that people make such a big deal out of alcohol and make it this forbidden thing and it becomes a big temptation and so kids will find a way to go out and drink with their friends, but they wont be doing it in a safe environment and wont have any self control so I am ok with having an occasional drink to keep it from being this forbidden thing that will make it a huge lure. This is not to say I'm going to let my kids get schmamered or anything.

here is an interesting read, even if it is from ehow

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2013

• What was she drinking?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2013