Trace amount of drugs in tap water. Did you know this?

I feel like I am the last to know everything. This is not new news.

It makes so much sense too. We urinate the pharmaceuticals - the water gets treated - goes back to tap and the drugs never go away. Hormones, seizure medications, pain relievers. All un-natural and going into the bodies of our own children, grandparents, everyone.

Ugh!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-10-drugs-tap-water_N.htm

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/14/your_tap_water_is_probably_laced_with_anti_depressants_partner/

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Then the drug addicts that freak out and flush their drugs. Where do they think it goes? Away forever?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• That's an unpleasant thought. But what are we supposed to do? It seems like nothing's safe to eat or drink anymore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Yes I knew about it.. Which is why I either filter my water or buy bottled.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I thought this was common knowledge these days? It has nothing to do with 'drug addicts". It's about people who dispose of expired and unused prescriptions by flushing them or throwing them out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I think distilled and reverse osmosis were the only ones that were ok with bottled water? Most of it's tap.

I wonder if this could be related to fertility issues- if a woman is not conceiving she could just have been exposed to everyone's birth control through tap water!?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Yep. Most city municipalities will tell you not to flush drugs down the toilet. You can buy an envelope from some pharmacies and send unwanted / used drugs to be destroyed. Our city has a collection day for things like this, as well as household chemicals and electronic trash.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I wonder if this could be related to fertility issues

Along with a few dozen other issues
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• our tap water is pumped from a natural spring, our toilet water and other water (sinks, tubs, etc) goes into a septic tank and others from the "city" into the sewer
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• To dispose unwanted pills, brew a pot of coffee, dump old pills into the coffee grinds and tie it up in a plastic bag.
    The acidity of the coffee grinds will eat up all pills.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 2:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Yes, I knew this. It also rains on us too. Ocean & Lake sediment are saturated as well so when the water evaporates it comes back down everywhere. A huge lake by my home is now closed to swimming & fishing because of an algae that causes liver cancer especially in children. Cause is mostly from cesspool/sewer runoff from residential homes. Once a year we get sent a break down from our Water Company on water quality (drinking water) & it lists percentages of what is found in our water according to which town you live in. We get our water from Aquifers deep in the ground. There is everything in the water including dry cleaning chemicals & gasoline trace. Even so, our water is considered very good in comparison to other places.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2013