Band trip out of the counrty

Would you allow your child to go to Mexico on a band trip?
Our school is planning next years trip - we live in Texas, so they'll get on a boat in Corpus Christi & go to Cosamel, Mexico.
They said they would port at tourist location.
They will not need passports. Only state issued I'd cards & a copy of their brith certificates.

These are freshman through seniors in high school - approximately 100 kids.

My neighbor and I do not feel comfortable sending out 14 year olds out of the counrty.

Are we being too paranoid?
Would you allow your child to go?

Thanks

I admit I'm not very trivue to the news but I hear nothing but bad things about Mexico & would probably never visit there myself.

Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in General Parenting

• nope. wouldn't allow it.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 2:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• NO! Mexico is very dangerous now. I have been there many times & would never go back.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• As of 12 July there was no travel advisory to Cozumel.
    I would seriously consider sending my kid.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Tourist ports are going to be about as safe as it gets in Mexico, I think. If tourists had bad things happening, tourism would drop and they'd lose money, so they're going to keep those areas pretty and fairly safe.

As far as would I do it - I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable with my child going out of the country without me. Even if it was a country that was very safe and I'd never heard bad things about, I think I'd be a bit bothered. I would be inclined to say no just because of my discomfort, but it would also depend on the people involved and whether or not I really trust them with my child's safety. There's a big difference between sending my child to school for a few hours where there are multiple adults who can step in if needed, and I can get there quickly in an emergency, and letting my kid be in another country with a limited number of people and I can't get there if something goes wrong.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• How many students per adult ratio?
    Are they actually going into Mexico or staying on the boat?
    If they are going into Mexico why do they not need passports?
    That right there would be a deal breaker for me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• These trips are common - most schools do them. Usually not out of the country, but Canada and Mexico both aren't unheard of. See what they're going to - is it an organized festival with a lot of schools attending? Is the itinerary something that guarantees they'll be in contained environments the entire time?

Also, these trips always need parent chaperones of both genders. Have you considered volunteering yourself?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I would chaperone just to keep my kid from missing out on something like this.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• You had me at "Would you allow your child to go to Mexico.." NO I would NOT!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• They will not need passports. Only state issued I'd cards & a copy of their birth certificates.

You better check into that.... last I heard we needed passports to go to Canada... IDK why you wouldn't need one for Mexico!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• No! When I was in highschool the band and chorus went to Europe and that I would allow but not Mexico.

Answer by missanc at 2:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2013