What would cause a gas fireplace to turn on randomly?

It has a remote. I did not touch the remote and it was off. I looked in the living room and the fireplace was on! I shut off the gas and turned the battery pack off. The remote did nothing to turn it off. It does not smell like gas in here. I am freaked out!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Home & Garden

• LOL! That could only mean one thing honey...

Wait for the "G E T O U T" to start.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Leaky gasket?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Ghost or if you have someone in the area on same frequency...our neighbors fan remote operated ours...took us forever to figure it out.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 3:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Do you have your AC on?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 3:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• A sort somewhere? Or an electronic toy that interfered with the remote? We had an Elmo toy once that would mess with the stereo remote when it came on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• When I lived in El Paso by the base my freaking garage door opened on its own all the time. It was annoying
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• GHOSTS!!!!

Answer by louise2 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• We have had Dish and Direct tv over the years. And sometimes the tv will change chanels or turn off and on. I will wake up at night and the tv in the bedroom will be on. Found out all the remotes are set to the same code.

Answer by louise2 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I'd bet it's a remote that someone else has on the same frequency. We have a neighbor around here that doesn't watch TV very often, and apparently is deaf, because when he does, his remote turns our volume through the freaking roof. We turn it down, he turns it back up. It's like dueling banjos or something. lol Good thing is after I turn it down a few times, he apparently gives up because it stops.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2013