How do you handle having a depressed child.

My son is 7 years old and I'm almost positive he has depression. We have an apt in a few days to have in clinically evaluated. In the mean time, his negativity, anger, sadness and inability to control his emotions are taking a toll on the rest of the family. We have a 5 year old son as well. It seems as he is antagoniziing his older brother and making it worse. I cant seem to control either of them, other than separating them in their own rooms. I cant do that all day every day. HELP!!

homesweetholmes

Asked by homesweetholmes at 5:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Well, I can't give you any advice because I am not there and I cannot see what really goes on in your home. However, judging from what you just said, "you are not able to control either one of them", I'm thinking there is your issue. You are the parent, you make the rules, you set and enforce the rules. IF they don't listen, lay down the law woman.

Other than that, medical issues are something you need to discuss with your physician. That is NOT an issue any of us have the qualifications to diagnose for you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Is there anything you can do with the boys that would turn the tide from negativism and antagonism to something more positive? Do they have any common interests they could pursue together? Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• We just got done with a family game of Sorry. It took a lot of effort on my part to keep the arguing at bay, however, it was fun. Just after cleaning up, I turned to walk away and literally 5 seconds later they were in each others faces, hitting and kicking. I sent them to their rooms to cool down ( including me). I've sent them to the same room before and they get along and laugh the entire time. This time, I just needed them to be apart. When I brought them out to sit down and discuss what happened, they giggled and rolled around on the floor, not taking anything serious. How do I get them to want to learn a better way to deal with eachother. I'm going crazy.
    homesweetholmes

Comment by homesweetholmes (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Honestly for the depression I would get ur son involved in a sport or activity that gets him around kids his age. As for the fighting it's prob normal for boys ... Your ped will prob have some suggestions .. Or google
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I'm not sure it's depression, to me it sort of just sounds like siblings doing what they do. But go ahead and have him checked out

as for playing games- at that age- I avoided that, as is ALWAYS ended up with drama and fighting
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• When my son was depressed at a younger age than that, I spent more one on one time with him. Even just going for a walk, cuddling while watching a movie. Just talking. I had a lot of patience and rode it out. I had him in counseling at school and privately.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2013