Curious about Dawn

In the question about the bowling shirt, a cleaning remedy was mentioned that called for Dawn dishwashing detergent. I've run across a lot of home cleaning ideas, and many of them mention Dawn specifically. So what does Dawn have that the other detergents don't?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Home & Garden

• it's just really great at getting the oily residues out. You know when there are oil spills off the coast and they have to clean up the animals? They use Dawn dish soap (I'm sure not exclusively) so that goes to show you how good the stuff is, in my opinion.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Better decreased, I think. Dawn is all I use, other soaps don't stand up against it in my kitchen.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Dawn is also great on killing fleas on kittens and puppies that are too young for flea shampoo :)

Dawn's all I will buy as well.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Stupid autocorrect- that was supposed to say degreaser.
    idareyou

• It is also a gentler dishwashing liquid.
    They use it to clean birds after oil spills.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• degreaser.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I think it's because some versions of Dawn contain enzymes, which are great stain removers. There's a neat little PDF breakdown of all of the ingredients here: http://lubrizol-blazemaster-issues.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ingredients_in_Dawn_Dish_Detergent.pdf

But, I disagree that's as safe as people think since it contains sulfates and triclosan in some version. Read more about sulfates here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/13/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.aspx

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2013