Urine smell out of carpet/mattress?

My 8 year old still sometimes wets the bed, and I'd really like to find a way to get rid of the smell in their room.

Can't be with vinegar, as that stuff makes me vomit.

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Urine B Gone spray. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, etc.

You can also buy it as part of a kit that comes with a black light so that you can see exactly where the stains are.

And buy a mattress pad. They're cheap, and it will prevent more urine stains/odor.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Borax in the laundry for everything
    But if it's in the mattress, unless you air it out, youre screwed. Sorry.
    Have you considered plastic sheets?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• She does have plastic sheets on her bed, but she and her younger sister LOVE tearing them up :/ And they are kinda expensive :(

How effective would baking soda be? Like taking the mattress out on a nice day and sprinkling it with baking soda and letting it set in the sun?
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• The baking soda hasnt worked very well for us.
    IF I put it on when it's wet and allow it to soak up the moisture, yeah- but after it's dried, not so much.

Some other members have suggested these products.
    I really like the vinegar. It neutralizes the Ph.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Yeah, unfortunately my husband can't even open up vinegar in the house when I'm here, as just one little whiff will have me running to the bathroom (a lot of stuff does that to me after my very first pregnancy).

OK, so try wetting down the mattress/carpet first. Gotcha.
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Hunh- I guess. Never tried that method.
    We can discuss outcomes tomorrow?
    My dogs leave me presents and I am working on a large area of carpeting right now...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• LOL OK, someone said NOT to wet down the carpet first....hmmmm, getting conflicting information :/

I just wish we had a newer steam cleaner. Ours has been well "loved" (or should I say unloved), and we made mistakes and let people borrow it...so its not really in the best condition...
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Baking soda. Baby powder. That stuff you sprinkle on carpets, can use it on the mattress.

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Can you leave for the day while someone else uses vinegar on it?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• We have 5 or 6 of the plastic/waterproof mattress covers. Unfortunately, the two girls apparently play tug of war with them and tear them up :/ I just purchased 2 more recently.

No, maecntpntz. Because if I came back and that smell was still in the air, it wouldn't matter. And it would take several hours for the smell to completely go away, and with a 9 month old, being away from the house for that long is not possible at this time.
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2013