How much does a vasectomy cost?

After being scared out of my other options my husband and I have decided on a vasectomy. The problem is that our insurance doesn't cover a dime of it. It covers all female sterilization options, IUD's and all birth control 100% but not a dime towards a vasectomy. Its very frusterating but after the troubles that I've had with several different birth control pills we've decided that its the best option for us. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with how much it will cost entirely. Follow up appointment included. I don't know what kind of a dr we could go to do this. I have heard $700 from people but I don't know if that includes all the dr appointments as well. Any suggestions or help would be great!

AshleyBishop06

Asked by AshleyBishop06 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Health

• It depends on what doctor does it. A urologist will cost more than a general practitioner, and one who uses a hospital will cost more than one equipped to perform the procedure in his or her office. My SO inquired about it a few years ago and was quoted an estimate of five or six hundred dollars by my doctor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• PP website gives a range between $350 - $1000.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• it's varies greatly from several hundred to several thousand. It depends on who does it,and where,and how much follow up is needed. My husband's was just over $3000 before insurance,and the follow up test for sperm mobility was about $200. His was done in office,by a Urologist,and he had the old procedure with cutting with a scalpel,and stitches afterwards

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• There is the procedure and follow-up appt. and any anesthesia, I would guess. I'd get a referral for your dh then call that doctor's office and get the cost. They should be able to tell you.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Babycenter gave the same price averages. Best thing to do is to look for a Urologist in your area and call around.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• we had the exact same scenario as butterflyblue.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• My husband refuses to have it done at planned parenthood, so I am just wondering if anyone has had it done at a hospital or clinic and what the total cost was including pre and post appointments
    AshleyBishop06

Comment by AshleyBishop06 (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• You could also have your tubes tied since have insurance for it.
    I would guess it would depend on the area you live in and what the market will bear.
    I would call someone who does them and ask.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I was planning on getting my tubes tied but have heard too many horror stories and the risk is so much lower for a vasectomy not to mention so much less invasive. So we talked about it and have decided to look into vasectomy. I know Urologists do the procedure but I have heard that family practice docs can do them as well. Just wondering what kind of a doc most people go to, costs, etc.
    AshleyBishop06

Comment by AshleyBishop06 (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• My hubby's was paid for.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2013