Did you ever write to a soldier?

I wrote to four guys during Desert Storm when I was in college, so 20 years ago. One ended up living the next town over and we wrote several letters. He was young but married with a couple kids. He shared stuff he wouldn't share with his wife. I think I was the "safe" person with whom he could discuss his fears. I'm married now (since 1998). I wonder how the wives feel about strangers writing to their loved ones. With all four fellows, I think I was a sounding board but also a person to try to support or comfort them.

Have you ladies done this? Is this a good thing?

...and btw, I'd have written to either male or females. Just happened that it turned out to be the boys.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 10:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2013 in Relationships

• Other than writing my husband, no. However, if someone had of wrote my husband it wouldn't have bothered me. I know that there were things that my husband kept from me. It's been 5 years since he last deployed and I know that there are things that he still hasn't told me. A year after he came home, he had a medal/award mailed to him with papers of the incident. Not once did he ever let on that the incident happened.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• No but only because I didn't know how to just write to them. I think it's great that people write. I'm sure they get lonely over there and need someone to talk with. Some of the stuff they may want to share might scare a wife or worry a mother so it's good they have someone neutral.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I never did, or knew it was an option, but I would. I could completely see how a soldier would feel safe sharing some things with a neutral, friendly pen pal that he or she wouldn't want to share with loved ones.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Yes, I also corresponded with several soldiers during desert storm. But my bf was in the national guard and when his unit was called up I stopped writing anyone else and he became my sole pen pal.

Answer by missanc at 10:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I had some that I wrote to during Viet Nam
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• Only with people I knew.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I did also- in high school- one of those "any soldier" letters.
    I met the guy after he came home. We went for pizza and to the mall. I think he wanted to date me, but I had a boyfriend.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2013

• I haven't, but I would be happy to. I didn't realize it was something we could do, either.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• yes when I was younger I dated a guy in the military. The last time he was in Kuwait we lost contact and I thought he was killed in battle, his mother didn't answer my letters or calls (he was from California). He showed up at my house one day (a year after I talked to him last) and apologized for not staying in contact with me, but our relationship was obviously over at that point. We still remain friends and his wife is cool with it.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• only my Marine lol and all through his bootcamp. I wrote a letter from almost every day he was gone. kept him busy reading letters about day to day life and what was going on at home. when he got back he didn't feel like he missed out on anything. when he was deployed I sent care packages.. and filled them with things he could share amongst the guys. he also got letters from random people wishing him a safe return and I never minded. I guess id mind a bit more if it continued back and forth and he was confiding to someone other than me..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 11:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2013