is there anything over the counter for eczma?? it's for me....

got a bad case of it. UGH! Do you think I should see a dermatoligist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Health

• You can try all of the things recommended for babies. Use a good thick moisturizer like Aveeno or Aquafor. Use it as soon as you get out of the shower. Pat dry, don't rub. Use Dove sensitve soap. and unscented un dyed detergent on your clothes and dryer sheets that are hypoallergenic if you have to use them at all.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you don't have to wait around for a referral, sure, but your family physician can prescribe some hydrocortisone cream to help out with the difficult areas. (Our DD has eczema.)

On a personal note, I've been slowly making the switch to all things natural and/or organic, both in food and health & beauty products. I've seen immediate positive results with the new cleanser, lotion, and face creams that I've been using. Try iHerb.com... type eczema in the search engine and I'm sure you'll find some wonderful recommendations for cleansers and lotions.

Forgive me if I'm offering redundant advice, but try to put lotion on dampened skin no more than 3 minutes after you hop out of the bath/shower. If you get overheated and sweaty, shower or rinse off and moisturize as quickly as possible--same goes for any time that you've been in chlorinated water. Good luck! I know it's a pain.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 11:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Good point, beckcorc... I forgot about the detergents. We also switched to the dye and fragrance free kind. I believe drugstore.com is having a sale on natural laundry products. Orders of >$25 that are non-prescription are shipped for free.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 11:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have it also and use Aveeno and when it is really bad I use the aveeno oatmeal bath.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2009