My MIL wants to be present on my (step)daughters first day of school. The problem is, when Meme is around, I get disrespected or ignored all together. This is a special time for us. What do I do?

I am the only mother this little girl has known. Meme helped take care of her for only 6 months before I entered the picture, but Meme acts like she is the mother.She is constantly going behind our backs and allowing things we don't allow, to include a visit with the very inconsistent bio-mom before I had the chance to enjoy our first Christmas. Bio had an agreement with my husband, who has sole custody, that there would be jo face too face visits until after we had our. holiday and Meme knew this. I want to. share this special time with my daughter without my MIL. Is this unreasonable of me?

sadmomma11

Asked by sadmomma11 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• I suppose you could get the date wrong. I'd just flat out tell her No. There is no law that says she can just come into your home. Of course it's hard for me to say. I get along with my MIL and she knows she is not allowed to interfere in our routines.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• The first day of school is a big enough adjustment for both parents & children. I think Meme needs to settle for a phone call or visit AFTER her 1st day of school. She can attend the open house, or arrange to have a morning drop off some other day, besides the 1st day.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• How about you Husband tells her NO! That he want's to share it with you & his Daughter. Talk to him. He should do this for you. If not then tell her the wrong date.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• She can be there too.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Say no!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• How long has the little girl been living with you?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• This sounds like a good conversation to have with your husband. Off the cuff I would say that I would let her because this is for your DD more than it is for the grandmother. It's an exciting day. Do you think your DD would want her there? Now, I wouldn't let her go and visit with grandma unless you or your DH are planning on hanging around during the visit.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Just say NO!
    lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• DJDNY shr has been in my hone and constant care since May 2011. But MIL still treats me as an inferior to her and that she will always be better in the little ones life than me.
    sadmomma11

Comment by sadmomma11 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I have two grankids an I go to the bus stop every year for the first day of school. How does your DH feel about it?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2013