Crying my eyes out..

while watching my sisters keeper. ugh every time I watch this movie.. idk why I do this to myself. Someone I know lost their daughter to childhood cancer this year. She was only 2 years old. just a couple months older then my daughter Natalie. They found out she had cancer right around the time of their first birthdays.. its heartbreaking. with the amount of money being put towards a cure how long do you think it will take to find one? are they even close?

a friend of mine died two years ago as a result of cystic fibrosis. We all knew it was coming but didn't make it easier. and her little sister has the same disease. Im just praying they find a cure before it takes her life as well. Last I heard they were coming out with a new medication that was supposed to be some kind of cure but it needed FDA approval still..

have you lost anyone to cancer? or any disease like this? have any of you had cancer? does it run in your family? it runs in mine.

nnh_mama

Asked by nnh_mama at 2:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2013 in Health

• My family has lost friends to cancer, but nobody really close to me. I've lost people to other things though.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about a cure. I tend to lean toward the theory that there is more money in treatment than a cure so that is where the bulk of effort is concentrated. It's a sad cynical way to look at things, I realize.

I'm sorry for the losses you have experienced.  I think it's probably harder when its a young person.  It seems so unnatural for a child to be terminally ill.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I'm sorry. That's the stuff hell is made of, right here in this world.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• That movie made me cry as well.

I have had several friends and family members die from cancer and I have a grandfather that just finished another round of radiation to treat his cancer. I've also had family members and friends suffer the loss of a child. I knew someone that got pregnant the same time that I did with my ds. She had a miscarriage. Every time she saw my child, it was a painful reminder of what hers would have looked like or been doing at that age.

I don't think they will ever have a cure for cancer. If they ever did, can you imagine how expensive that would be? And insurance companies would do everything in their power not to cover it.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 3:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• My Aunt died froma short battle with cancer back in April. Before her we have not lost anyone to cancer.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I know six people who have had it. grandfather died from it. other grandfather had it but beat it. grandmother had breast cancer but beat it. bestfriends mom had breast cancer and passed away from complications of the chemo. the baby girl who died from it and my uncle died from it.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• when it comes to the elderly I am comforted in the thought that they were able to watch their kids grow up and get married and have kids of their own. I was raised by the set of grandparents who both had it but beat it but my pops passing (a heart related issue) was still hard because he was more of a father.. but again I was able to cope. When my friend Joy died from cystic fibrosis I felt broken. She didn't get to fall in love or have kids.. she hadn't gotten a chance to live. but she didn't resent her disease. ive never met such a calm peaceful person. I was pregnant with my first daughter at the time of her passing thus the name Natalie Joy. When the baby (whos name and info im not going to say) passed it was just hard to fathom. I hurt for her parents and her big sister.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Never seen the movie.

Hubby's dad died from cancer - then his mom about 10 yrs later. My grandma aso
    cancer sucks
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• That's why I don't watch sad movies. Quick, go watch "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", or something else funny! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• As to the cancer issue, I have known many people who have battled it & rallied back. My maternal G-ma died of breast cancer when I was 5 y/o, but that was before they had all the technology they have now.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I have lost (I have a good friend battling too)quite a few family members from cancer it is a horribly ugly disease. I
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2013