Should Military Families qualify for WIC?

My husband is in the military and we qualify for WIC. They do not count part of his income because it's "extra" pay. I get nasty comments from other people because we "should" be able to afford what WIC provdes us. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think military families should make enough to not have to worry about it! are you serious you qualify! my husband makes 18 an hour and we dont even qualify!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Seems like a personal question to me instead of a broad based question....CAN you afford what WIC provides you? If you can you should get off of it and leave it to those who need it. If you can't then use it, that's what it's there for.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree with them, too. Military should NOT be able to qualify. Military has always been, and still is very underpaid and it pisses me off. We have only til Friday and then we are out of the military. But yea, we qualified for WIC as well. I know some who get foodstamps and medicaid (for free dental and vision).
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• majority of military is on WIC unless they are dual military. we don't get paid as much as people think... well some of us dont!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 11:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My husband joined the Air Force in 1980 and we were a Military family for 21 years. There were times when our sons were young when his pay did not cover enough of the expenses. We had to get help from the government to feed our sons.

You know what your situation is like...not the other's who think they have the right to judge you and your husband. Don't let what they think get under your skin. Your spouse is laying his life on the line for those people....you deserve just as much help as they would if they were in need.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 11:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My husband is active duty right now, but is National Guard....training to become a pilot. And if we get pregnant with the next one we will qualify for WIC. It's not as easy as people think. When we moved a year ago things were so bad I had to go to the food bank on base and get a voucher for the commissary, and I was 4 monthes pregnant. It took me almost 10 weeks to find a part time minimum wage job....and I have a degree and left a great job to support my husband. We are just as much entitled for it as anyone else. For that first answer, if I made $18 an hour, or my husband did, I wouldn't know what to do with the extra money at the grocery store!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My husband is an E5, we have 4 kids and have qualified for WIC for the entire 10yrs he has been in the military. I do use WIC now, however, my kids are allergic to milk protein and I give the milk to people who need it since we only use about 1gal a month out of the 8 we are given vouchers for. Since this is against WIC policy, I am posting this as anon but anyone who knows me personally, knows I do this and hopefully, would do the same.
    Anonymous

• I don't know, I know military wives in real life and the majority of them tell me that if you're responsible with your money, depending on what area you are stationed at, you can do quite well on military pay.
    But, if someone is honest, hardworking and responsible with their money and still can't get by then yes they should qualify for wic.
    Anonymous

• babycakes "Military should NOT be able to qualify. Military has always been, and still is very underpaid and it pisses me off" I don't understand....

I agree with what aurorabunny said.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• ANon 10:52, can you not adjust your wic vouchers to get more of what you would use and less of what you wouldnt?
    I could when I had wic.
    Helping others is great and all, but you're helping one by taking advantage of others. Please rethink.
    Anonymous