Any tips for a good grilled burger?

Here lately mine fall apart. I use 80/20 blend with seasonings, egg, worcheshire and breadcrumbs.

Any tips? I don't normally eat red meat, but I'm craving a grilled " hamburgler" as my dd calls them. Lol.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 3:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I like to add dry onion soup mix to mine. I'm not much of a griller, but I know that if I cook burgers on the stove, I put them in the fridge for a short time before cooking them because they stay together more easily.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• are you using enough breadcrumbs? if there is too much liquid from the Worchester and egg they can fall apart and make sure the grill is HOT and ONLY TURN ONCE. So many people make the mistake of flipping, flipping, flipping. You only flip once!.

Personally I only add salt, pepper, and other seasonings I don't add anything else to the meat and then I go crazy with my toppings. We had 2am Burgers on Friday. Grilled hash browns, cheeseburger, fried egg. Delicious!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I might not use enough bread crumbs. Maybe I will leave the worcheshire out.

Never heard of a 2 am burger before. How do you grill hash browns?? I love hash browns but never heard of grilling them.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I took frozen hash browns, added salt pepper and a little sour cream to bind the frozen hash brown together, then formed them in patties the size of the burgers and fried them in oil while the burgers were grilling then put them on paper towels to drain and used the same oil to fry the egg. Keep them Runny! Put the hash brown on the bun first, then the cheese burger, then the egg and the top bun and press down so the yolk will burst and run down the burger OH MAN I WANT ONE NOW haha. This was my take on the 2am Burger had at a restaurant in CO.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Don't squish them
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• According to my husb., only use seasonings after you start grilling. The other things you added are too liquidy (his words) & will cause them to fall apart. So skip the sauces, eggs & even bread crumbs. That's for when you are making meatballs, but not burgers. That is the advice from the Grill Master himself. :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I do pretty much the Sam ingredients (add some spices) and omit the egg. It does help if you freeze them for a little bit before throwing them on the grill.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• 80/20 blend, coarse grind. Don't over mixing the neat or the burger gets tough. Don't add salt to the mixture, all the moisture will leak out once it hits the pan. Salt the patty right before you're gonna grill it. Very hot grill. Don't move the patty and don't press it. The sizzle may sound nice but it dried out the burger. Flip only once. Let rest for a few minutes.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Oh and mrsmom said it, if you have some good beef, it's a pity to drown it in seasonings and binders. I never add eggs or breadcrumbs to my patties.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• My friend adds onion soup mix and I must admit, it's good.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2013