Do you reward your kids for doing chores?

My girls share a room, they are 8 and 5. They have always some what picked up after them self but at times get carried away and their room end up a mess and I have to clean it . I recently cleaned everything out old clothes toys etc.. I told them they are in charge of cleaning it they had a little trouble last week but this week they have been really good and their room is spotless ( their beds aren't made but I don't care bout the beds mine is hardly ever made). Anyways I was thinking of rewarding them for doing a good job of keeping it clean to encourage them to keep it up? What do you think? what would be a good reward for this?

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids get rewarded for some chores and some chores they do simply because they are part of our family. Their reward is in the form of an allowance(part of which gets saved, the other part is their choice)

Answer by missanc at 4:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Do you get a reward for keeping the house clean? No you don't. I do not believe in rewarding for things they are supose to do. As a family memeber. Cleaning, yard work.

Answer by louise2 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I think basic chores are what all family members do for the household. The kids will get a thank-you, which is often more than the parents get. I've paid small amounts for efforts above and beyond, like sorting out all the toys and putting them back in their proper places instead of just shoving them randomly into totes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Tell them what you notice & how much you appreciate it. Maybe verbalize why it could be helpful or beneficial to them, too. That would just be noticing aloud how their things are put away so they're safe & protected, and how they must enjoy being able to easily find what they are wanting to use (how much less frustrating it is than to be left wondering or having to search for something when they want...scissors, tape, markers, a hairbrush, etc.) And that it looks nice, seems like a place that is fun to Be, or to spend time.
    Appreciation & identifying the tangible (to them) benefits is where I would go.

To answer your question, No I don't reward my kids for doing chores. I don't make them do chores either. They are intrinsically motivated and force or incentives don't factor into it.

Those tasks are rewarding and contain their own benefits or payoff (such as the aspects described above.) Why disconnect kids from that?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• they get an allowance for doing their chores. they don't have to do them, but they get money taken from their allowance from each chore they choose not to do. i guess you could say they're rewarded in that they get to spend their money however they want.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I do but it's something kinda simple like 1$ or going out to ice cream things like that
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• My son does not have chores. He makes his bed, and keeps his room and other room he uses clean and helps out around the house. Folds his clothes, helps with meal prep but it is not something he is expected to do.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• We don't do the allowance thing either, since it takes a family to run a household. You can reward them with praise. You can reward them with a mommy/daughter day. Most kids, esp. kids that age, like to please their parents. Knowing they are making your happy is actually part of the reward. Enjoy it while it lasts. :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• If by reward you mean being allowed to continue to live in my home, sure. I don't think it's okay to teach them to expect something for stuff they should be doing anyway. Everyone lives here, everyone helps keep the house clean.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• I think the idea of "rewarding" is directly related to the assumption that kids have to be "made" to do things. I think if you rush to punish (in order to force certain behaviors, or force compliance with your wishes) your kids are less likely to develop an internal sense about WHY to do things that benefit them & others. They do it to avoid the punishment. If that threat were not there, they might not be all that interested in cooperating. This, to me, is no more desirable than having a child who "expects something" for the contributions they make. i.e., only cooperates in order to receive payment/reward.
    I want my children to grow up in touch with the (many!) reasons TO do tasks like washing dishes, cleaning up messes, taking care of their belongings, sorting & organizing clean laundry (folding, putting away), weeding, etc. I want them to do things because they WANT to.
    Rewards & punishment interfere with that inner contact.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2013