What to expect in Developmental Evaluation (speech related ) for my 20 months old son?

My son is 20 months old but talks very less. He makes all sort of sounds that other kids makes, understands almost everything I say to him, but is not "willing" to speak ,though I know he can speak because at times he has spoken such words. Secondly at home we speak two languages and as already discussed on this forum most people suggested me that because of bilingual house , my child will be a little late learner. I totally agree on this, but still think to have his evaluation done by "Early Intervention(First Steps)". Does anybody has an experience in this . Can somebody tell me what should I expect in this type of evaluation. How the person talks to the child or what they will ask my child to do. I am asking this because I want my child to be prepared.

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 12:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think the point of this is NOT to do any preparation. They need to see the situation as it is, so they can advise you on what to do.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• It will be almost completely play based. They will likely show him some picture in a book a d ask him what they are and then they may ask him to point to certain things in the book. They will do some manipulatives like getting him to stack blocks. They will try to get him to do some imitation. Simple things that are actually fun for kids. My oldest has autism and I ended up having 4 of my kids evaluated by early intervention.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• my son Levi is 20 months and speaks in 3-4 word sentences. Levi also did everything early, he crawled at 5 months and walked at 9 months to the day. He started babbling at about 7 months and has been a little chatter box since. I have to say the best thing for them is NOT talking baby talk to them. We don't baby talk to Levi or to any of our sons. Its not good for their speech development.
    Pay920

Answer by Pay920 at 3:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2013