Sleepovers

How old was your child/ children when they went or were invited to a sleepover or had friends over for a sleep over?
My dd is 4 and been asked by a friend...but she is 7. I told her she is too young. I am not big on sleep overs.

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 6:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yeah, I think 4 y/o is a bit young. Mine only did sleepovers at G-ma or G-pa's house at that age. Once they start school & form new friendships, the B-day party invites start pouring in. Then you have some suckers, uh I mean some parents, who have sleepovers as part of the B-day party experience. :p Of course it's up to you when you feel your child is ready for that. No matter how well you get to know the parents, & they meet your approval, you could still get one of those calls in the middle of the nite. You know, when they get homesick & want nothing more than to sleep in their own bed. Kinda like you were doing til the phone rang! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:09 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• 4 is too young

mine started around 2nd grade I think- so 7 or 8ish
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Yeah...I won't let her sleep over...I might not even ever do it. I don't trust anyone I don't know really well. Yeah the girl is 7 so she is old enough. But I don't want her to sleep here either.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Mine were in 1st and 2nd grades.

Answer by missanc at 9:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• 4 is too young. I hate sleepovers. My dd is at one right now, and I'm counting the mins to go get her.

As I'm counting I'm worried. They never buy groceries. They stopped by last night and raided my fridge and cabinet for fruit, milk, flavored water and applesauce. I'm worried there won't be anything for breakfast so I want to go get her ASAP.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Why not say your kid is still too young but the other kid is welcome to your place?
    Win Win for everyone
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I think "too young" or "old enough" is an individual decision, and the context/situation makes a difference.

In answer to your question, my daughter was 9 when she went to her first sleepover (in May this year.) It was a fab birthday party. Later in June, she attended a second (another birthday party sleepover) and in July, a third. She hasn't yet had "just" a sleepover with a friend & hasn't had any of her friends stay over.
    My best friend & I grew up spending the night back and forth. We had sleepovers often, but we were growing up playing together daily/regularly, too. We don't have that with any of my kids' friends, and so it makes sense to me that it took this long, and that it's been primarily party-related. She doesn't have frequent/regular playdates. She sees her friends at school, at extra-curricular activities, at summer camp, etc. And we live about 20 minutes outside of town.

Sounds like your preference is clear!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I prefer that the girl does not sleep over here either. She is a handful and I usually send her home after maybe an hour I could not handle it for over night. I will way for the party setting if ever. My family was not big on sleep overs even parties. Just the way I,was raised.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• My daughter was four, but the sleepover was with a cousin. I haven't sent her to the home of a friend I'm not well acquainted with.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Yeah, I do not feel comfortable about the whole sleep over thing. As she gets over I will cross that bridge. I didn't know it would be this soon but it is only because the friend is older. Yeah she has stayed at family plenty but I barely knows these people.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2013