Not sure if we will have someone to watch our daughter while I'm in the hospital?

We have a four year old daughter and I'm 8 months pregnant with a second little girl. We have family nearby but they all work and have things going on in their lives. My mom and dad expect me to KNOW for sure when I'm going to go into labor so they can request vacation time in advance. Well, I don't know about you ladies but I have no clue when this child might decide to show up.

If my parents don't watch her then we may not have any other options. My husband's family doesn't live close :/

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Hire a babysitter. The hospital can probably help you get someone lined up; ours had info available for parents who needed it.

You can call your parents after you're all home. Maybe a week or so after.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• This is why I had a scheduled induction. I was a single mom and had no family or friends near by. My mother was going to fly in to help. She needed and exact date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I also had two scheduled inductions. Second by request for this reason actually. But hey, if you go into labor then someone will have to leave work early & take the next day off. There are also Baby Nanny's from Agencies that will watch your children. They are bonded & insured. Look through the Yellow Pages for an Agency.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I had my 3rd induced for scheduling reasons. My oldest has autism and unexpected changes in his schedule at that age would have affected him for days.

Answer by missanc at 10:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• One caveat regarding induction: Since due dates can be off by two weeks in EITHER direction, an induction can produce a baby that's not ready for prime time. Or *can* lead to interventions that could be hazardous to mom or baby or both. Since the OP doesn't mention induction (and I'm sure it's an option she knows about) then I suspect it's not the path she wants to tread.

OP, do you have a doula? That might be an option for you as well, to find some assistance for your older child.

Another option is to nail down a two week span around your due date. Mom takes vacation the first week, dad takes it the second. OR they take no vacation and instead take sick time on the day you deliver (I would choose that option were I in their shoes).

Answer by gdiamante at 10:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• due dates any more are pretty darn accurate. If you schedule it for 3-4 days before your due date it would be fine. When is the last time you heard about a baby that was induced being premature by accident?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Have they stopped using the 28-day pregnancy wheel? Because it's VERY inaccurate for many women. Ultrasounds can also be misinterpreted. A due date is merely a best guess. And yes, I've heard of inductions being too early and baby winds up in the NICU.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• OP- have you considered having the 4 yo there for the delivery?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I have never heard of one baby being in the nicu after induction ever. let alone in the last 5 years or so as medical equipment and procedures continue to advance. All 4 of my babies were induced and all 4 were a-okay. So were my many nieces and nephews and friends babies over the years and I would say at least 50% of them were induced close to or on their due dates. Maybe where you live doctors are not as careful...?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I was induced early. They thought she weighted 7 lbs but she only weighted 4. I'm not a fan of scheduled inductions, and it I agree the Op didn't mention this an an option.

Do you have a neighbor? Old hs teacher that you keep in touch with?
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2013