I practically never play with my son, he pretty much always plays independently...

My son is now 3 and has always played independently. I read to my son and we go out together and when the weather is nice we go to the park, and on occasion we color or paint together, but I don't get down on the floor and play trucks, trains, etc. I will play things like "catch me if you can" and we pretend we're lions or bears and I give him piggy back rides, so I'm def interactive with him, but most of his time he is independently playing trucks, trains, blocks etc. is it a bad thing that I let him play by himself most of the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• is it a bad thing that I let him play by himself most of the time?
    Who told you it was bad?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• My SIL made a comment saying "don't you play with him, he has no siblings and he must be so bored and feel so alone". Her comment got me thinking about it and actually feeling kind of guilty, but I thought children shouldn't have to be entertained 24/7. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Bet this isn't the first time she's offered her unsolicited opinion either, hunh?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Hmmm... what do mothers that are confined to wheelchairs do? Does that make them a bad mom because they can't get down on the floor and play?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• It's great that can intertin himself!! So many kids can do that because they have had their play directed by someone all the time. No, there is nothing wrong with that!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• *entertain... Sorry, got autocorrected
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Not at all.
    You also might try to set up times for hime to play with other children.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2013

• My kids have always played fine by themselves. I don't let other people guilt me about how I parent them. If your SIL is so concerned then maybe she can be a great and doting aunt and come play on the floor with her nephew. Otherwise she should just STFU
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I'm an only child, and I don't remember ever feeling lonely because my parents weren't playing with me. Yes, they did play with me sometimes, but I played plenty by myself. Ignore her. If he's happy playing by himself, let him play. Set up some play dates so he has friends that he can play with, too, sometimes, but you do not have to entertain him 24/7.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• You do play with him. Kids need to learn parents are not their just to keep them occupied.

Answer by louise2 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2013