$500 new washer...get the $200 5year warranty or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2013 in Home & Garden

• No. I don't care how much you pay for it, appliances these days are not meant to last that long.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• We went ahead and did it because I felt silly not and now I'm feeling stupid because we did...$200 in the hole....so annoyed with myself
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Nope. Buy a new one. Half the time what breaks isn't covered by the warranty anyway.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Don't beat yourself up... now you know.

Warranties are mostly just an added way to make more money from a product. If something drastic happens, chances are it would be covered under your home-owners insurance anyway.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• We got the $80 3 year warranty.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• We have had our w/d for over 5 years and never had it broke down yet. So do not waist your money on a warranty.

Answer by louise2 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• You can cancel it if this was recent...but I never get the insurance, because it breaks usually after the insured period is up!

Answer by older at 1:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I bought a washer and got the extended warranty. About a month before the warranty expired, the stupid thing died. I got a brand new washer. But didn't feel like buying another warranty (it would have made the budget way too tight for that month). The 2nd one died a few months after the warranty would have run out.

Sometimes they are a good idea and sometimes not. It's a gamble.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 1:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I probably wouldn't have paid for the warranty, but who knows, you might be glad you did.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I wouldn't have for a $500 washer.

Answer by missanc at 2:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2013