"Coffee will stunt your growth" Is this true?

Seriously, if it is, I think we started too late, but my 12 1/2 year old, she's almost as tall as me (5'8"...last time she was measured, she was 2 inches shorter). Because she comes from her daddy's genes, she LOVES coffee, but it doesn't seem to be working!!!!!

Maybe we should start making her drink every day and as big of cups as we have?

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• Heh heh heh.... Not working on mine, either. His shoes are so big we could use 'em as canoes! And the really irritating thing is that they have this uncanny knack of landing wherever you can trip over them!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• It's probably an old wives' tale. My mom used to worry that coffee was slowing down my growth, but I topped out at five feet, and I think I was just destined to be short.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• My son likes coffee as well. Always has. My mother gave him some of his black coffee when he real little(just a sip) and he loved it...lol strange child.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I been drinking since I was a baby...culture thing...nope stump growth here...I am 5'8 and my brother is over 6'0. I do have tall people in my family and all practically had coffee( not American) since small children. I use to give it to my dd and she is above average so I think it is a old wife tales.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Ugh, speaking of shoes, she stole my nice New Balance tennies :/
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Not thinking so.... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• First off, to me coffee is an adult drink. My kids did't drink coffee tell they were 17 or 18 yo. IMO.
    If that is right. I guess I was suppose to be 6", I an 5'8".

Answer by louise2 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• nah, I used to drink coffee a lot and I am short but that's genetics. lol
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 1:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I love coffee but people tell me that it stunts your growth. Is that true?
    - Tara*

No, coffee doesn't stunt your growth. But coffee does contain caffeine, which stimulates the central nervous system. For most people, a cup or two of coffee a day doesn't do any harm. But if you're drinking more — especially if you are getting caffeine from other sources, like soda or energy drinks — you may want to cut back. That's because high doses of caffeine can cause anxiety and dizziness, and may interfere with normal sleep.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• No but it will stain your teeth and disrupt sleep patterns

Answer by missanc at 2:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2013