My sister is pregnant with identical twin boys different sac but share the same placenta. However Saturday one of the sacs broke.My question is how long can they stay in the womb.

Diamond1329

Asked by Diamond1329 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I would say to ask her doctor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Well she in the hospital in Ann Arbor and 28 weeks pregnant . One of the twins has a heart defect , in which they need for them to get to 32 to 35 weeks in order to save the one twin. Thanks for all the advice
    Diamond1329

Comment by Diamond1329 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Just trying to give her hope
    Diamond1329

• oh no, I really don't know. but at least she is in the hospital and in good hands. Best wishes on a safe delivery and TWO healthy babies. they may need to do a c section for the one twin and leave the second in there..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 1:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I really don't know,but she and the babies will be in my thoughts and prayers. She's lucky to have a kind-hearted sister like you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Just trying to give her hope

you dont want to give her false hopes. a trained medical professional will be better able to answer this question based on factors which we probably wouldn't even think to consider
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• That would be the equivalent of her "water" breaking. (The "different sacs" you're talking about are the amniotic sacs.) You are talking about monochorionic twins.

It could be a leak, and the membrane can repair. She is producing amniotic fluid all along (until birth) whether or not the amniotic membrane is intact, so it can fill again even if she leaked or her "water broke." If the rupture in the membrane seals, it will be a situation in which the pregnancy can go on. Likely she is on bed rest & being monitored, and this is what they are going for. Keeping things tight until the babies are viable.

Encourage her to drink plenty of water, eat plenty of protein. To hang tight & have faith. Barbara Luke (physician) wrote a book on carrying multiples, and I bet a lot of her information is online too.

But primarily, encourage your sister because she is probably physically uncomfortable AND scared. Listen, and care.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• That sounds pretty scary. U of M hospitals have a good reputation tho, so at least she & the babies are in good hands. Just be there for her & listen to her. You cannot give her medical advice, but you can be a source of support & strength. GL to all involved.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I never finished medical school. My name is NOT Dr. m-avi.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• The doctors should be able to answer this. They can go for quite awhile if she is being monitored.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2013