My 5 year old doesn't like anything! even things he liked yesterday or an hour a go.

yesterday me, my son and my mother went out to buy school supplies. I let my son pick out everything so I knew it would be what he liked.
By the time we got home and I was putting everything away he didn't like his shoes or his backpack anymore, but didn't know why. he didn't ask for new ones and he said he'd use them, just that he didn't like them.
Then this morning he no longer likes the juice I bought (but he'll drink it so it doesn't go to waste), he didn't like the fruit snacks I bought because they are too sour - even though he's always loved them before.
this has been going on for at least 2 weeks. even things he does like, when I ask if he likes it he never just says yes, it's always "it's ok" or something else dismissive.

I've tired talking to him about it, and he apologised a lot. And now when I ask if he likes something he tells me he can't say because he doesn't want to say he doesn't.
Is this a stage, is there something I can do about it?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 3:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• reaction to the possible stress of starting school?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Totally normal. Give it an hour and he'll like it again.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• If he was to tell you that something hurt or the shoes gave him blisters, then you've got a problem. But the likes and dislikes will change a lot.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Kids do this. They need to learn that the  dessions they  make, some of them can be changed.    This is a good time to teach him that.

Answer by louise2 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• its part of growing up, theyall go through stages, heck, I can buy something today and look at it later and not like it!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 3:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• sounds like a 5 yr old to me...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Just go with it. If you're really surprised, go ahead and express that surprise but "just" as surprise. (Like "Oh!" or "Really? I thought you liked this. Well, okay.")
    Take his decision (of the moment) as the truth (for the moment.)
    Just show that you understand & accept that he's a separate person who has his own stuff going on, lol.

There are all sorts of reasons that it could be happening, but bottom line is it IS okay to have opinions, and to change your mind about your opinions!
    Sounds like he has internalized that he's doing something wrong, letting you down or upsetting you in some way. (His excessive apologizing and his holding back from answering yes or no, since he doesn't want to say No.) I would notice that dynamic & respond simply by demonstrating there is no need. I'd do that by shifting my responses & focus. I'd stop asking/prompting him, and I'd keep my reactions to his statements open & flexible, accepting.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Really GirlwithC. What is your Educational back ground?  WOW!

Answer by louise2 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• But I bet he still loves his toys and video games.... If you're going to "fix" the situation, start there! Oh if you don't like this Nintendo, I'll give it to the poor kids....
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Sounds like a typical kiddo to me. He's starting to learn that he can have opinions that change, or that are different from yours, and he's just going overboard with it for now. I bet it won't last.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2013