Menopause anyone?

Has this been the nightmare you've read about? I remember my mom not being her best self, shall we say. I'm reading that it can be ten years, you gain facial hair, lose sleep, lose hair on your head, gain a size and on the list goes. HMOG (holy mother o' god) I am not looking forward to this!

If you've been through it, is it as awful as it's described? : (

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 7:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2013 in Health

• OMG! Is that why I am shedding more hair than Wolfman! LOL! GREAT!! :P
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• It wasn't THAT bad. The worst part for me was the hot flashes but I didn't gain facial hair or lose the hair on my head. The sleep interruption was due to the hot flashes, for the most part.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• its only going to be bad for me if my doctor is right by telling me that yes 13 years after a total hysterectomy I can "Start" symptoms
    if he is right then I may need to be in a padded cell
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I've been in perimenopause for a while. Yes, my hair is thinning. Haven't gained but haven't LOST either. I sleep MORE than I did before, not less (but I was never much of a sleeper).

Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Been in peri since about age 37/38 ... I shed worse than a long-haired cat in summer. Hot flashes controlled with vitamin E ....400IU. Insomnia off and on. Thought it was about the real thing last year when SHE didn't show up for eight months and then WHAM!! The bitch was back and the cramps were worse. *sigh*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• For some yes and for some no. I did not have hot flashes. I had on continuous flash. That may sound awful but actually it is the up and down that is dis concerting.
    Yes facial hair was and is an annoyance.
    On the other hand you do not have cramps and periods. You do not have to worry about getting pregnant.
    Some of those symptoms sound more like they might be linked to a deficiency in the thyroid which often happens to women. She might want to have it checked. She might also have her vitamin D checked as most women are also low on that.
    All lot has to do with your own attitude.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Oh, took about five years from start to finish
    Mrs_Prissy

• Well, it wasn't unmanageable, but sure would have preferred another way to get through it!! Dealt with the hot flashes OK, but the worst parts are the facial hair and the sleeping. Sleep routine has not been the same ever since. Get a couple of weeks of good sleep, then weeks where I am up for 1-2 hours like from 2-4 AM, then back and forth between the two. Hate that. It differs for allof us though. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• For me it lasted 10 years.
    The worst part was the Hot Flashes, which I aptly named, my personal summer!
    I did not lose hair, gained a few pounds, which is surprising considering how much sweating you do!

I refused to take prescription drugs for it, I wanted DH to feel miserable with me. :)

I recommend a personal fan for any moms who are feeling they May be starting menopause.
    We have central air, but it's not enough, lol
    Fortunately I'm over it now, but I have heard it can come back. Hoping like hell it doesn't!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2013