Need a new car bad, but it has to be CHEAP, and can't be a beater... where do I look?

My car is done, there are so many problems with it now that it's not worth it to fix. Blue book value is about $1000. Im looking to find a reliable car for super cheap, like no more than $2000. This will be my car for about a year until I finish school and get a REAL job. Im not sure where to look. I've checked out craigslist but everything i've heard about purchasing on there is sketchy. Where else can I look? Newspaper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• Well, I have a Jetta (new) for $150 a month. That is a pretty cheap lease.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• You can try autotrader.com. But private party ads will always be risky.

Another option is to check for rental car fleet sales in your area. You can get a fairly decent used car for a really cut rate.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• I've never had a problem with buying off Craigslist... We got our latest car there, met at a safe location and I haggled the price down 'til I was satisfied.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Where do you live? I know locally there is a non profit that fixes up donated cars for low income families and then sell them for enough to cover the costs of the parts they replaced/repaired - usually around 2k. But there may be something similar local to you.

Answer by missanc at 11:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Do you have the Auto Trader where you are? Like look on the counter or newspaper rack in a mini mart or grocery store.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• If you have someone who can check the car out thoroughly, Auto Trader is a reasonable option. My ex and I got a Celebrity station wagon for $300--of course that was twenty years ago--and it ran like a top for as long as we had it. We traded it for a wheelchair accessible van years after, and it was still humming along.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• reliable for 2000 or less?

wow...good luck with that
    If you an afford a payment, maybe go for something in the 8-10,000 range and mak payments?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I've gotten really good, reliable cars for less than $2000 just by finding cars people put a For Sale sign on. I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but around here, people will slap a sign on the car and either park it near the road in their own yard or park it on a busy street corner. I've always taken my dad to have him look the car over, listen to the engine, go for the test drive with me, etc. But I would have someone to do that regardless of where I was buying the car.

You can do it, you just have to be careful. Even on Craigslist, you can do it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• you can try facebook
    mother2013421

Answer by mother2013421 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2013