Does this happen to anyone else?

sometimes when im watching tv and I see someone smoking a cigarette.. I sware I can smell it! I was just watching something and I thought I smelt smoke so I opened my back door thinking maybe my neighbor, but nope..

this isn't the first time. I think its just a memory trigger maybe.. ? funny how the mind works..

isn't there a part of the nose that is connected to memory. so when you smell certain things it can bring back certain memories for you.. ?

nnh_mama

Asked by nnh_mama at 11:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Smell is a major memory trigger. I have never heard of it working backwards like that though!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• Yes. Scent is the strongest trigger of memory.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2013

• i mean clearly I have had memories attached to smells.. like if I were to close my eyes and smell an orange id know its an orange because ive had them before and recognize it.. but I feel like im crazy sometimes because its usually cigarette smoke that trigger the opposite way for me.. I cant tell u how many times ive thought maybe there was some sort of cross breeze from my neighbors.. whom I later found out didn't even smoke lol I guess its just my mind screwing with me.. and im assuming its always that one smell because its such a strong smell to remember
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Do you have a loved one who smoked that may have passed away?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• no, but my mom has smoked my entire life.. including while pregnant with me. and I smoked for a couple yrs way back when..
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Maybe it's memories from the womb!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Since you used to smoke, maybe you're having secret cravings when you see someone smoking.

Or it could be what staci said. lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• lol the lack of people experiencing this same thing makes me feel crazy haha but its been happening for years. first time I can actually rememeber and noticed it was 6 yrs ago..
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Why, yes... I do suppose this could happen.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 6:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2013