Anyone that has gone through this that can help?

I'm a sahm to a 2 yr old boy & I've been trying to get back in shape for a while starting with going to the gym. I would like to make a routine & go most mornings with my son & leave him in the gym daycare for just 1 hr maximum 2 hrs. The last time I tried it was a disaster!! He freaked out & was just clinging to me the whole time! I really want him to get used to being without me for a little bit & I want my alone time but I dont know how exactly to go about this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

._Andrea_.

Asked by ._Andrea_. at 1:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stay with him at the daycare for as long as he needs. Play with toys, interact with the other adults and kids. Might take two or more tries but eventually he just won't care when you leave because he's comfortable with the place and the people. Mommies friends are his friends.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Did you try leaving to see if he would calm down? Most kids do within 2-3 minutes after you leave. Every article I've read has said it's better to drop and leave, in an upbeat "this is going to be fun" manner. The first time you leave him there, even if he calls down I wouldn't do a full workout, go back quickly so he can see that you always return. It'll become routine soon!

Answer by missanc at 6:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• this is normal for kids to freak when the parents leave them in a daycare or whatever- they *usually* calm down after a couple min
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• *and the longer the parent hangs around- the worse it usually is...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• It's pretty normal. They get used to it fairly quickly. The people that work in the daycare usually prefer that you just drop and go. If they cry it only takes a few minutes until they are usually interested in something else. If he is inconsolable, they will come find you.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Keep doing it..he will eventually get use to it.....it sucks, but if you know he will be well taken care of don't give in...you are not mistreating him. Some kids are more clingy than others, talk to him, and keep explaining that you are not leaving him alone and you are close by...

Answer by older at 9:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Does he have a comfort object you could leave with him, something familiar?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• This is going to sound mean but just leave him, I worked in a day care when i was younger and all the kids who had rough drop offs were fine less then 10 minutes after. You also need to be consistent with him, keep it at the same time (as much as possible), the more consistent you are with it the easier it will get for him. Toddlers need consistency and a routine in order to thrive. Eventually he will be use to going and it will be part of his daily routine. Maybe start a mommy and me class so he gets use to socializing with others, or find a daycare/ preschool program that he can attend 1-2 days a week for a few hours so he can learn to play with other kids his age.
    Pay920

Answer by Pay920 at 3:32 AM on Sep. 17, 2013