Do you think this is fair?

My city just built a new elementary school to replace one that was in bad shape. It cost $13 million dollars. Meanwhile,all of the other schools besides the one that was built in 2000,are using equipment from the 60's.At my son's former elementary school,their student chairs were literally falling apart,and the district claimed there were no funds for new ones,so the PTA raised funds to purchase those balls with the feet that the kids can sit on.
A mere 4 blocks from this new elementary school,there is a K-8 school.
This new school has Ipads for every student,MARBLE floors in the foyer,and the list goes on.
Every other school has 3 Ipads for the entire school.
I think it's total BS that this one school get what no other school has.Why should the rest have to be using 50 year old equipment ( in sad shape) while this one is state of the art?
When people raised the BS flag at the School board meetings,they just shrugged and said that this is what they decided to do.
There is 13 million for a new school,but my son's school loses a much needed special needs aide...

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• MARBLE floors in the foyer
    Bloody effing BS
    No damn school needs marble floors.
    I seriously hope you have some good investigative reporters in your area who are willing/ capable of "following the money".
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Wow, that's juts wrong. We homeschool, and a large part of it was that I was unhappy with our district. I got really pissed one time when they did a world's fair at my kid's school, where each class did a study of a different country (some countries were covered more than once, of course), and the principal said, "We do this because we know most of these kids will never leave the county." Uh, gee thanks for insinuating that my family is poor and will never amount to much. That'll really convince the kids to keep trying and dream big. Yes, there are some poor families around here, but it pissed me off even for them, because I know their parents have to want the kids to go to college and do better, and this principal just totally insulted them. This year, they cut the budget so much that I honestly don't see how they're teaching these kids anything at all. I don't see how they can even provide basic supplies with this budget.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Wow, that does seem really disproportionate. I know in our schools they only get a few iPads, and the PTA has raised money to buy the traveling iPad classroooms with funds raised during the year. I believe they are doing this before they plan to raise money to pay for a much needed playground cover to provide shade and keep the sun off of the playground equipment. It doesn't do much good when kids get burns on their skin on the way down the slide.

Maybe get some of the parents together and show up at the school board meetings to make a presence.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I am beginning to wonder what good school boards serve. They mishandle money & piss off a lot of people. Their ineptness takes the focus off what the teachers & students are trying to accomplish & makes voters not want to support the schools. I believe most public schools need a parent/teacher advisory, or oversight committee to make sure the true needs of the classroom are being met. The board members don't have a clue.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• The funds were followed,and all of a sudden,nothing more was mentioned about it. hmmmm...

ugh- nothing nice to say >.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• *just

fingers are faster than brain this morning, I guess.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Sounds elitist and not at all fair to me. But I guess the last time I bought into the idea that life was fair, I was three or four years old. Money talks an bullshit walks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Of course it's not fair since it's all taxpayer funded. However, we've had issues here where some school complain about school X having more than school Y - but the difference is that what they are complaining about was bought with PTA fundraisers, not taxpayer dollars. I can understand that they think it's not fair, but life isn't fair, everybody doesn't come with an even playing field.
    But I can understand your frustration and in your situation I think it's definitely warranted!

Answer by missanc at 1:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I was speechless when i heard how much they spent.
    At first,the board approved 7 million for the project,and were going to spread the other 6 around,but then decided that the 13 million would pay out in the end when it didn't need repairs in a few years. Yeah,great idea. Now if something happens elsewhere,we're screwed. the way this state uses their funds is why i'm considering home schooling next year.
    The funds were followed,and all of a sudden,nothing more was mentioned about it. hmmmm...

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• The school has 186 kids this year. The 3rd smallest enrollment in town. The other 2 have around 100-150

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2013