Why do they use the term Shark "Infested"?

It's not an infestation. That's where they sharks LIVE. Now if the sharks were in your backyard pool,THAT would be an infestation.
I was just watching the news about that lady that swam from Cuba to FL

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Predominantly selachian neighborhood
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I guess it's easier than saying 'shark rich environment'. Plus, it sounds scary so it adds to the drama and subsequently the interest.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I don't think they mean infestation like we would mean a termite infestation, where it's not expected and unwanted. I think they just mean it as a reference to the fact that there's many- maybe more than you would expect to see. You might expect, for example, to see a shark or two if you're at Daytona Beach, but you might not expect to be stepping on their tails because there's so many, so they would call it an infestation.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• maybe it's just easier/ faster to say "infested" than something like waters where sharks are known to be/ live...?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I think it could be their way of expressing that several sharks are in the area. As it pertains to her story, I'd say the jelly fish were more of a problem for her than the sharks. Poor lady. But hey, at least she made it this time! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Maybe it is because an infestation usually means a bunch of something bad in the area, and although sharks are part of nature, being bitten by them is a bad thing.

Answer by Bmat at 8:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Yeah I think it's funny. When I was at the beach recently there were sand sharks (very small sharks) close to shore where we were swimming. A lady ran frantically up to the lifeguard and told him about the sharks. His response "yeah, they live there" :)

Answer by missanc at 10:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Probably because people feel negatively about sharks for the most part, and 'infested' is a word with very negative connotations.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Here's how dictionary.com defines it:

inĀ·fest [in-fest]
    verb (used with object)
    1. to live in or overrun to an unwanted degree or in a troublesome manner, especially as predatory animals or vermin do: Sharks infested the coastline.
    2. to be numerous in, as anything undesirable or troublesome: the cares that infest the day.
    3. Archaic. to harass.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I guess it's on the same level as calling orcas, killer whales

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2013