Pregnant, getting married, being added to husband's plan

The first day of my last period was July 29, 2013. I took a clear blue digital pregnancy test, and we are pregnant and SO EXCITED!!!

Now, one thing I'm a little ANXIOUS about is that I do not have insurance. My soon to be husband has Blue Cross Blue Shield through his work.

We're going to the court house today to get married. Will BCBS immediately add me to his insurance plan, and if so, will they pay for my doctor's visits and delivery? I haven't been to the doctor yet.

Please, HELP!

Wehavefaith2014

Asked by Wehavefaith2014 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Pregnancy

• You will have to contact the insurance company to find out how long it takes to get you added to his plan. Ask them what they require, such as a copy of your marriage license. Congrats & GL!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• You can apply for pregnancy Medicaid. It will cover expenses going back three months. It would be worth a couple hours time to get the coverage you need.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Getting married is a reason to make a change to his plan outside open enrollment, so yes, they will add you to his insurance. Whether or not they will cover your pregnancy, I'm not sure - I know there used to be clauses about preexisting conditions, and some insurances considered being pregnant before the policy covered you to be a preexisting condition. That's something you'd have to check into to know for sure. But as 2autisticsmom said, you can see about getting pregnancy Medicaid, and it will cover your previous expenses and all future, pregnancy related expenses. I think it usually ends with the 6 week follow up exam after you give birth.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I don't know if BCBS has the same policy,but when I got pregnant in 1999,we weren't married and my husband had BCBS,and he called up and my maternity care was added the next business day.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• FYI even if you are added on to your husband's insurance, you may still qualify for the pregnancy Medicaid.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• They probably won't cover the pregnancy, but adding you to the plan they might do. BCBS is kind of crappy like that. I have a coworker that ran into a problem like that and they called it a "pre-exsisting condition" so they wouldn't do anything for them. They ended up having to pay for it all themselves. Do some research on it though because insurance companies are good and not wanting to pay anything.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• There are specific laws which address this, and unless there's some weird thing in your state, the pregnancy should be covered, but make sure he gets the paperwork done immediately, because there's a short window that has to be hit to allow the change outside open enrollment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• We found out two days ago, Sunday, and we're going to the court house tomorrow to get married. Then, he's going to contact BCBS and add me to his plan. I haven't been to the doctor yet. So, I'm wondering if since I am not that far along, and if we get married tomorrow, and then he adds me tomorrow to his insurance, and we fill out all of the paperwork, if everything will be covered? Hoping, praying, nervous, anxious.... overwhelmed a little...

I just e-mailed BCBS from his account. He logged in to it, and I was trying to review his benefits, but I still don't see anything real clear about it. I'm just patiently waiting for their response.

Than you for each of your responses!
    Wehavefaith2014

Comment by Wehavefaith2014 (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Why doesn't your soon to be husband call, it's his policy and they'd need to take to him anyways. Plus it's quicker to call.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 10:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I thin we were just nervous because I'm already pregnant. You're right though. I'm going to tell him to call now. I can't wait any longer for the response. It's killing me.
    Wehavefaith2014

Comment by Wehavefaith2014 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2013