Home school vs private school

My daughter has been sick longer than she's been in school...I get that it's part of it but I'm seriously debating homeschooling her...she just started kindergarten this year...any homeschoolers out there who just love it??? And why do u love it and how do u make it work?? I also have an 18 month old...thanks!!

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 8:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I haven't tried that, but if your child has an illness or condition that causes her to miss a lot of school, the school district where she attends should be able to work with you to have a tutor come to your home so she doesn't fall far behind. Or maybe try the online K-12 program. Hope she gets better. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• We homeschool and we love it. We don't do it because of illness, but because the school district we live in sucks and I feel I can give them a much better education at home than the district can. We love it because we can choose how and what we teach and learn, we have more freedom in when and where can do school (we take their birthdays off, for example, but we don't take off all the miscellaneous, pointless days they take off; we can school in the living room, on the porch or at the park), and we don't have to deal with all the disadvantages of public school like being forced to be around kids they don't get along with just because they're in the same class, bullies, tons of homework, and so on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Wendythewriter...would u mind sending me some info on resources ?? Thank you so much!!
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• The best resource I could give is hslda.org. The laws vary between states on what you have to do and what you can do, and this site has tons of info on homeschooling, including the laws for every state explained in a very simple, easy to understand way (not that you're stupid or anything, but sometimes the laws as written can be confusing).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I can only speak to the private school part, we have just changed school, or old one combined with a new one, and I am very happy with the education they get. I think anyone who homeschools and does a good job is a winner in my book! I have had experience with a friend who did not homeschool properly, and he children suffered from it.
    It depends if you feel you are really up to the task, and can get them a good education, as well as social interaction.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Have you thought about http://www.k12.com/ ? It might be something to consider. Our son had pneumonia twice back in 2010, and missed a lot of school . I kept in touch with the Teacher, and he stayed caught up on his work. I don't know how much school your child has missed, but it seems to me that if it's an extended period of time, then an alternative is worth looking into, but otherwise I'd keep them in school.
    My Sisters been a school Teacher for 20 yrs, in public, and private schools, and she said in her opinion, if you don't have the right training/education, you're doing a disservice to your child when you try to teach them yourself... IMO children need to be in a healthy social environment to become well rounded individuals.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• i dont home school but ive always heard good things about homeschooling. good results. it is a commitment though. good luck! :)
    Sun.shine

Answer by Sun.shine at 10:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• healthy social environment to become well rounded individuals.

School isn't a healthy social environment and most home schooled kids are more well rounded because they learn to relate to everyone, not just people the same age as they are.

OP, part of the reason I started homeschooling is because DS missed so much school last year and they almost failed him because of it. Even though he was an A/B student. Didn't matter that the absences were excused and he got all of his work done. There are other reasons as well but that was a big one. We love the freedom to go where we want, when we want and school the way that fits him best. Wendy gave you a great resource with hslda.com. Before you decide to HS or not, make sure you look up your state laws and know them backward and forward. Google homeschool groups in your area as well. Good luck whatever you decide.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Your local public school district might be able to help you. the district I work for has extensive resources for home schoolers.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2013

• My oldest two both attend private school. Everett is in a private preschool program and Archer attends private kindergarten. I would highly recommend leaving her in a private school and not homeschooling her. I think for kindergarten it would be okay but after that I think school is best. They need to learn to socialize as well as learn all of their subjects. To each their own but personally I think school epically private school is the better option.
    Pay920

Answer by Pay920 at 3:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2013