How do you really feel about gifts?

Everyone always says it's the thought that counts. Do you agree? Or do people just say that to be nice?
How do you feel about homemade gifts? Like cookies or fudge?
I'm an excellent chef and I love to make cookies, but if I keep them in the house, I will eat them! So, I tend to give tins of cookies away often as gifts.
Do you think people actually appreciate it? Or do they throw them in the garbage without tasting them?

kk_bella

Asked by kk_bella at 11:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• food is always a good gift :)

I have learned that with some people some of my other arts and crafts are a waste of time/effort...
    Anonymous

• I think it really depends on the recipient of the gift. Some people appreciate everything, some appreciate nothing. There's always a few who just don't want to hurt your feelings and will act like they are thankful but are making faces behind your back, they are the ones who irk me !

abarnes6

Answer by abarnes6 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It IS absolutely the thought that counts. That's just it, thought needs to be put into the gift. Food is fine as long as you've thought about the recipient before making it and giving it to them. Are they diabetic? Are they trying to lose weight? So on and so forth. I personally wouldn't want goodies because I try to watch what I eat and sweets are just too tempting. My friends should know that so a gift of chocolates from one of them would make me think that it was just a thoughtless, last-minute gift. If you know that your recipient would love some baked goods, then of course it is a great gift! :-)

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I love gifts! It makes you feel loved and appreciated. I don't like fancy, expensive things. I don't wear any "real" jewelry and definitely don't have to buy name brands. But I love receiving gifts, if it is truly a heartfelt gift. I don't like the "obligatory" gift, like many people do at Christmas time. I try to put a lot of thought into what I give someone, a gift I think they'd really enjoy and appreciate.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• kk bella you read my mind tonight! My brothers b-day is tomorrow and while we are close and know each others likes and dislikes, he has been a jerk since moving in with my mom (along with his GF and her daughter. I usually go out of my way to get him a giftcard for a record store but I am also low on funds so as I threw together some crap in a gift bag lol that sounds bad but true.... My son did buy him some cool pics for his guitar and a pic holder, I on the other hand gave him, :chuckle, chuckle: A box of Queen Anne chocolates (he likes chocolate) and a giant candle I bought on clearance like 2 months ago. I wrote a note saying "No dude, this is not a gay gift, it is to keep you warm and have the backroom smell good". I really think I put SOME thought into it, I know he's gonna realize I am not happy with his behavior. Oh well, I really don't like to be tacky but I am broke. It is in fact "THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS"!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Oh and on the other side of the coin, if anyone gives me a gift I feel so blessed!, Saturday a neighbor who sells flowers at the swap meet brought my mom and I, four vases with so many roses! I know she gave them to us because she didn't sell them and they were going to just sit in her garage. The fact that she thought to bring them to us and have our houses smell so nice for a few days warmed my heart, yes "IT IS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS".
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• well I think it depends on who is getting the gift because lets face it some people can just be plain ungrateful, me on the other hand I totally think its the thought that counts, IMO if someone is nice enough to go out of there way to think of you when making something or buying something no matter what it is I think you should be grateful

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's the thought that counts. If someone were to give me bake goods as a gift I would appreciate it. Anytime someone is thoughtful enough to do something for me, i appreciate it. But I still might throw it out, cause I don't need to eat that. LOL
    Mandi1215

Answer by Mandi1215 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2009