Thinking about Christmas and how tough it's going to be this year.

Basically it's my MIL's last Christmas, she's been diagnosed with a brain tumour and there's nothing anyone can do, she is only 53. I've offered to cook this year but my worry is with what to buy for my DH, MIL and FIL. I was thinking of maybe a photo album with all photos taken since I've known them, but I don't feel it's enough. I get choked every time I think about it. I'm going to try and make it the best Christmas for MIL but its going to be so hard to get through. Any ideas for how to make it special?
(Wasn't sure where to put this)

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 9:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• Aww- I am so sorry. I can't even imagine it. She is lucky to have loved ones like you to help make her remaining days here special ones. I like the photo album idea. I also think you could get the grandkids to do one of those handprint shirts w/ fabric paint. You could also do a photo album on disc & set it to music. The reason you don't feel the gifts are enough, is b/c the gift you want most for her, you can't give her. So the next best thing is to surround her with loving, caring people who will remind her of all the good things she's done & what you are grateful for. *hugs*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• This is a sad situation and your thoughtfulness is wonderful! Your idea is also great, and I am sure she will forever appreciate it.  She is lucky to have you and this will become transparently clear to her.

Answer by older at 9:40 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I think buying a last family photo shoot would be a great idea. Get everyone out together somewhere that was a favorite family hangout like a lake/river/park etc.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• hugs

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• A photo album is probably the best idea. What better gift than wonderful memories. A family photo somewhere pretty would be nice too. I'm sorry about her diagnosis.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Oh gosh... I am so sorry for you and your family. Going through something like that isn't easy. The photo album is a wonderful idea. Just take everyday shots and put them all together. Try to take them without them knowing so it will be tons of memories for them. Again, my heart goes out to you and your family.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Oh, that is sad and she is very fortunate to have you!

A photo album is a wonderful ideal!!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I get choked every time I think about it.

That might be something that's better to do separate from Christmas. It's going to be an emotional day already, and something like that could make it even worse.

This is hard to answer not knowing her condition or her own attitude towards things. Does she have a sense of humor (there are "Fuck Cancer" hoodies and samplers and pillows)? Is her health failing already, so that she needs things like chemo caps or blankets?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I am so sorry. Your idea of the pictures is great. It is the closeness that you will share that is the real gift. I would imagine she wouldn't care if you had water and toast as long as you are all together. Keep that in mind. Don't spend all day in the kitchen but rather talking and being close. hug
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• So very sorry, anything that will make her feel good is an idea, like a nice comfortable outfit , a wig would lift her spirits it would for me, you being with her at all times is the best , I hope she has the best pain management she can get, make sure everyone lets her know how they feel, say what you need to now. Hugs
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2013