Could it be a thyroid problem? Or am I making excuses?

So for at least the past couple of years, I've always been tired.  Whether I've had a good sleep, not enough sleep, too much sleep... I'm exhausted.  I usually start my days out with what I would think are normal amounts of energy, but usually by lunch (or mid-afternoon at the latest) I'm EXHAUSTED.  I wouldn't say it's normal amounts of exhaustion for that time of day either... like, we're talking so tired I could lay down and go to sleep, if I weren't working.  It's never really seemed like a medical problem to me, though.  I'm a mom, I work full time... it's normal to be tired... right?

But then a woman I work with pointed out to me that I should get my thyroid checked.  And then I thought about it.  I DO seem to be TOO tired a lot, with no real explanation.  And then I thought about it more.

I also can't seem to lose weight.  I'm not PUSHING to lose it, but I am trying harder than ever before (including after I had my son).  I started trying to lose it (REALLY trying) about a year ago, but instead, I gained five pounds, and I now struggle to lose even that.  I work out at least four days a week, for at least half an hour (an hour on weekends).  I've cut out sugary snacks, for the most part - I used to survive off of energy drinks and chocolate bars, just a couple of years ago, and did not struggle with my weight then.  I do still eat more junk than I should, but I've cut out significant amounts... and still, no difference.  Every time I get excited because I've lost just a couple pounds, I pack it right back on again for no apparent reason.  I'm a year away from my wedding, and god dammit, I want to wear a tight dress!!

I have a doctor's appointment next Monday, but I wanted to see if any of you ladies can relate or what you think may be going on here.  Have any of you had thyroid issues and maybe have gone through similar symptoms?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Health

• It may be thyroid. It may be another issue. It certainly appears to be a health problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• It's possible. I developed my thyroid problem after I had my first child.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• It could be. Prime time for women developing an autoimmune problem - puberty, during pregnancy, after pregnancy, when stopping breastfeeding and during menopause. When the hormones are all shifting around, some things just don't go back to "normal"
    I went to the dr when I was overly tired and ended up being diagnosed with sjogrens. I hadn't thought it was any big deal but when I looked at it, every single symptom fit and the blood tests confirmed.

Answer by missanc at 11:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Never had thyroid issues, but it's not a bad idea to get it checked. I hope it gives you the answers you are looking for.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• The tyroid is a good place to start. I had similar symptom to yours and got mine checked; it was normal. But that doesn't mean yours will be. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:14 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I remember my ex-MIL finding out she had thyroid problems a few years ago... after she, as a very active woman, struggled to drop just a few pounds as well.  I had completely forgotten about that until the woman at my work mentioned it... it would totally make sense.

AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Thyroid, adrenals, anemia and many others cause those two symptoms. You definitely need to talk to your doctor though as all can be easily tested for.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• All it takes is a simple blood test. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Like it was mention before a blood test will rule it in or out, B vitamins are also important.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Most definitely have them check your thyroid and have them check your vitamin D levels. Women in the US seem to be very prone to both.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2013