What would be the correct response?

Would the truth be better than avoidance when you just want to just stop carpooling with a family? We had a disaster with carpooling that only lasted a couple weeks.  I asked this of my teen daughter: If anyone says anything or asks why you and Sara aren't riding back & forth what do you plan to say? We know its becuz she was always late & made your Dad late & we were taken advantage of doing most of the carpooling & they wouldn't do the days they said they would putting us on the spot. Don't say anything,act like u didn't hear them,ask them why they want to know, or say it didn't work out. U may be asked so someone can set u up to say something bad. Thats why it is better to know who u can trust.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I would simply say that the carpooling arrangement didn't work out for your family needs.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Response to who? Your kids so that they don't say something offensive? You just say 'it wasn't working out for us' and leave it at that.

A response to the people that you were carpooling with and don't want to anymore? You just say 'sorry, it just wasn't working out for us', and leave it at that.

It's not that difficult.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I agree with Prissy and QM. Short and sweet. No need to go into detail about why the arrangement didn't work out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I would say the same thing - it just didn't work out.

Answer by missanc at 11:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• if its someone new asking of you want to carpool be polite but decline
    if someone asks your kids what happened to the carpool, since its really not thier problem, to just say I dont know, I guess it wasnt working out.
    if its the family it didnt work out with be honest, you were constantly late making us late. We can't operate that way.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• If you're asking how your teen daughter should respond, I would tell her to simply say she doesn't know, that this was her parents decision. THAT is the truth: it was your decision, and if anyone wants to know about it, they should be asking YOU. If they do ask you, then I think you have two options: you either go with a simple, polite "I'm sorry, but it just didn't work for us" or a "Our circumstances make it difficult for us to continue that arrangement", or you can be bluntly honest and simply tell them that the other child was late and it was affecting your family to the point where you can no longer keep doing it. Personally, I'd go with the simple, polite route and only tell them the honest truth if they kept pushing.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I assume you are the person who had a daughter that called you lazy or something to that effect?
    Why don't you call the mother of the girl who was late all of the time, and say this-
    Hi this is Becky's mother, and I wanted to discuss the carpooling situation, we would like to continue the carpooling, but Sara has been late when we pick her up, and this makes my husband late for work, and them late for practice. Can we get on a schedule that say Mon and Wed we provide the ride, and you on Tues and Thurs?
    Put on your big girl panties, and deal with the mother yourself, so your child doesn't have to make up a lie or feel uncomfortable with the other kid.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I would say that it just did not work out. If they want more, I would simply say, that is between the two of us.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Just curious. Why is saying, It didn't work out, a lie?

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• It wasn't working out.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2013