Heart Palpitations

My asthma has been acting up terribly this last week because of allergies. I've had to use my rescue inhaler several times. But I know what to do when I start feeling out of breath, and it doesn't really get me in a panic anymore.

Once in Wal-Mart on Saturday night, and then more strongly at the Rockies game yesterday, I started feeling what I guess must be heart palpitations. It was like my heart was fluttering or twitching in my chest, and I couldn't make it stop. It scared me, so both times I found a bench to sit on in a place that was out of the direct sun. I did some relaxation breathing and drank cool water, and the twitching stopped.

So my question is, and I know you all are not doctors, can heat cause twitches of the heart like that? Or can they be part of an asthma flare-up? I'll make an appointment at the clinic this week if I have any more trouble, but I don't like to go running over there unless I know I have a good reason. Thanks.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Health

• They would probably need to do a stress test to know if there is a real heart problem (arrhythmia)
    I do not have that condition but I do have a thyroid condition and have had panic attacks. Direct sun, a lack of air movement and heaviness in the air can trigger what feels like a fluttering. I am told it is my body trying desperately to return conditions to ideal. Since I do not really sweat even in 100+ weather my body has a hard time cooling me off. If I do start to sweat it is time for me to really rethink what I am doing.
    So, my answer is that I would have it checked out to be sure since it has been twice in a short period of time, but it may very well be a combination of you allergy triggered asthma attacks and the conditions you were in.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• i think a lot of different things can cause heart palps. i get them when im especially stressed, and oddly when i'm pmsing as well. they are scary and i hate them, but i don't think they're particularly dangerous unless you have another underlying heart condition such as arrhythmia. then again im no cardiologist but ive been having them since i was a kid ( i do have a heart murmur ) and im still alive lol

if it's out of the norm for you or you get them super frequently, you should definitely get it checked out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Using the inhaler more than you did before might be a cause ,check the warnings on the label . All medications have cardiac issues.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Ballad, I am no doctor...you should be checked..you should also seriously look into a pill called Protandim, I think I have mentioned this before....it will not cure anything but make your body work at it's peak, eliminating those toxins we all consume on a daily basis...Yes, I am a distributor, but not for money, this product really works, and the world has no clue is out there...this is my reason for spending $630. to become a distributor and tell the world of what I have found....please look into it....

Answer by older at 11:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I can think of a good reason- how about being around for your 5 y/o?! Why take any chances when it comes to your health? Whether or not it was brought on by having to use your rescue inhaler more often than usual, it's can't hurt to get checked out. Make that appt!!!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I get them from time to time, but they're never been triggered by heat. I don't have asthma so can't speak to that. In my case, it's been attributed to stress. If I have them, I take a Xanax and that settles things. I haven't needed to take one in a long time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Due to what I have, I have palpitations regularly, and definitely more in the summer when I'm too warm. What you did was exactly what my cardiologist told me to do to snap out of them, breathe deep and drink cold water.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2013