Affording a 2 bedroom to ourselves on a budget

I'm a single mom, going to school, working, and living in the same room as my daughter. I initially thought it would be just fine.. i put in bookshelves to seperate our sides of the room but it is just hard feeling like I have no space, and with a roommate next door the whole place just seems crowded. I live in an area that is too expensive, but her dad lives in the area, the school I would love for her to go to is here, and it is nice to be able to walk/bike everywhere I need to and not have to drive. So I have been looking at 2 bedrooms and all I can think of is how does anyone have the money for that? Most 1 bedrooms are close to $1,000..and 2 bedrooms even more ridiculous. I am thinking about using financial aid for half of the rent, but I am nervous about spending more money.
Any single moms out there that can shed some light on some possible solutions? I am trying really hard to save money and I think moving just wouldn't be possible. It would be nice to live comfortably and feel good in your own home though!

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 3:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• If you are going to school, can you qualify for housing aid?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Are you getting child support? It's supposed to cover food and shelter. If you're not, head to court and get it. That might close the gap.

Otherwise, you'll need to move to a less expensive area.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• If dad can comfortably afford to live there, he can register her for school.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Could you not get by with a 1 bdrm? When I was a single mom I slept on the couch and put my kids in the bedrooms, but at least I had space and privacy.

Answer by missanc at 4:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Why don't you look for someone renting rooms in a home, many elderly are on a fixed budget, and would love to have the company, if you do this investiagte the situation throughly, but how about finding another single mother to split a 3 bedroom with?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Move to a cheaper area, then have dad's address as place of residence for the school. That way you can still afford to live and have some breathing room and she can still go to the better school. Other than that, cut out ALL extras, get a basic cell phone (I think straightalk is the cheapest at $45/month), use the library for internet, cut coupons and buy smart. Make a budget and stick to it. Part of the budget should be money in savings, so you can move out and get your own place. It is hard as hell to make it as a single mom, but you can do it!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2013