What Are Your Thoughts on the Myth of Christian Persecution?

I saw/listened to this podcast today (I love this guy, he's always interviewing really interesting people), and it made me think of how often we see/hear the cry of persecution here on CM, and in this section in particular.

After listening (if you have time to listen), what are your thoughts/comments? How can this interview and the book it discusses be applied to our little corner of CM? Were there areas you disagreed with the author? What stuck out most to you?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Honestly, I think it stems from Christians being so used to being the majority in the US. Now that more people are speaking up, being heard and, expressing different views & beliefs, the church is panicking about the possibility of losing it's majority (though Christians still far outnumber all other religions and atheism in the US).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I think that different people are persecuted at different times and in different places, even today.
    Pick a group, any group and search. I bet you can find that some are persecuted somewhere. I mean in reality and not just in their own minds.
    Christians are like any other group. If you search, Christians are being persecuted somewhere. Just like any other group,they are being denied rights, being bullied, beaten and killed. It is not a myth for any group to say they are discriminated against or persecuted.
    Again, Christians are not one lump of people, they are mmany different groups. If I were asked if Catholics are being persecuted in my neighbor hood or city, off the top of my head, I would say no. I might have to do research to be better informed but my guess is no.
    In the city not far from us, I would say probably. Because I know that Christian churches have been broken into and burned and in other instances
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• beaten because they were Christian. Persecution is not always a blanket thing, as a matter of fact if it more often on a much smaller scale.
    To call it a myth is insulting and ridiculous. Not to me as a person or a Catholic but to anyone with any intelligence on human nature.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• To call it a myth is insulting and ridiculous

Did you actually listen to the podcast? It starts out with some pastor complaining that Christians in the US will shortly be "persecuted" by...being treated exactly the same way they treat all the other religions in the US today - children harassed, adults kept from running for office, etc.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• I think Christians are facing hostility, but not downright persecution.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Christians face dislike, misunderstanding, and some fairly benign hostility in the US... But it's not persecution. So some people don't like me. Maybe it's because of my belief in God. Big deal. Life isn't a popularity contest... But I never feel persecuted
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• In this context I see it as another divisive catch phrase, like the "war" on Christmas. They want to rally fellow Christians together since they are losing more and more members from the traditional denominations. A we vs. them attitude can create cohesion, even if they have to redefine what constitutes religious prosecution.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2013