When to go backless booster seat???

My son is 6 and not tall- just average I guess. What age/height is about the right time to do a backless booster? We have a Graco Nautilus but it is so big and bulky and won't fit in my husband's new car. Was thinking turbobooster or a backless one with a should adjusting strap..... Not sure which is better. His head certainly is not above the headrests or anything.. Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• When the shoulder strap is below his shoulder.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• The regular car seat loses much of its effectiveness when the kid's head reaches te top of the plastic shell. Laws vary by state. Here in Colorado, you can switch a kid to a booster when he or she is four years old or weighs forty pounds, whichever comes first. However, my five-year-old doesn't yet weigh forty pounds, so we usually still use a full car seat. The exception is if I'm taking a cab or getting a ride with someone, since the booster is easier to carry and install.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I went to a backless booster with my kids when they went into kindergarten. Boosters with the back didnt fit in the 3rd row of my station wagon. But most boosters go up to the same weight as the backless boosters, you don't ever have to switch.

Answer by missanc at 6:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• It goes by weight here in Canada, My DD was 4, the seat belt is what keeps them safe they just have to be high enough for it to be effective.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 6:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• 65 lbs I think
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• My daughter is 4 but has always been tall. At birth she was 23 3/4 in long. Almost 2 ft!!

Shes taller than 6 year olds.

Here in az, it goes by height and weight.

My 4 year old.meets the criteria by far.
    She has a backless booster which comes with a red strap that attaches to the shoulder strap to hold it below in place.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2013