open relationships....

I know this isn't a "typical" way to go about a relationship, but I think it would be a good option to consider for certain situations. As for myself, I care deeply for my SO but he's more a best friend than a lover to me. What are your opinions? It may not be right for YOU...but what about the overall concept of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm in an open marriage and it works well for us. There has been a few bumps in the road (jealousy and communication) but those are to be expected. It's our commitment to each other and love that binds us. I feel that its the strength of the primary relationship that makes going open a go or no go situation. If the commitment isn't there then going open can help speed up an ending relationship, sometimes traumatically.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My hubbys friend came over and I met his girlfriend well they got deployed and she is now my friend..anyways lol her and this guy love eachother but are having seperation issues and he told her he wants to be with other people and so she dates and things over here and I guess when he gets chances he does his thing but idk I wouldnt do it i love my husband but she is hurt by it but she dates to see if he will get jeoulus and tell her he wants it to be her and him only again..you'll prolly hurt him a lil if he cares for you but you just need to dicuss with him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Its asking for trouble. What happens when you fall in love with this other person, or he does? Or one of you pics up an STD and spreads it to 4 or more people? How do you control your jealousy? Your time? How will you feel if he loves her more?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my friend was married for 12 years
    and they had an open relationship
    well when he was deplyed over seas she got to close and is now leaveing him
    i think they never work and arnt a good idea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We don't ACT like a couple. We don't kiss, make love, holding hands is rare also! He seriously is like my friend. I think if he found another girl that he could have the emotional connection with than as long as he didn't bring her around our son then I would understand. I don't want to actually leave him, I couldn't give up my son every other weekend. And two parents in a home, is extremely important to both of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think the idea sounds GREAT but the relality is that is will end up badly!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My husband and I are in an open relationship. It works for us. No secrets, lies or anything. We keep our family intact as well and family is always first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think if he really found some bimbo to go for this you'd change your mind. What happened to the sanctity of marriage?
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I don't believe in it. Either you are in a relationship or you are not. If you are seeing others, you are not committed to each other so I don't call it a relationship. Maybe call it just dating.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• OP here- He's a great guy that deserves more than he's getting. Now I don't want to cheat on him...I'm with no other man right now. And we're not married. That has never came up between us. No I wouldn't want to hang out with her or hear about their activities, just knowing he would be getting his "sexual needs" meant would be a relief for me. We haven't been "together" in almost a year ( but most of that is due to a new baby and just not feeling comfortable with my new pudge around my mid section)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2009