How to block the living room from the dining room so baby can't get in?

Ideas? It's a huge space, a baby gate would be more $$$ than I could shell out.

I have a pack n play sideways in the doorway- then after that it's about a 3 foot gap. I have a rubbermaid there and a few pillows. Baby can just crawl over the pillows and pull herself to a stand on the rubbermaid.

....I wonder what I could put there that would help? Chairs don't work she crawls under them... I have to get creative....

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 8:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Time out if she doesn't listen.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I just put my dining room chairs on top of the table and a lock on my oven and locks on all of my cabinet doors and drawers. I think that covers it. I also have to remove any toys that could be potential stepping stools for my toddler. DD used DS's plastic party cup to climb on top of the tv stand.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Wait- my bad. I thought you were talking about the older one.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• She just can't be in the kitchen- we have cats and their food has to go somewhere. Litter box too.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• have you looked into large framed corkboards.
    I had one from a thrift store for about 3 bucks
    was still able to slide it as needed and keep kid out
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• We blocked it with the couches with my first. I just put a sideways laundry basket with the rubbermaid. Not sure how that will fare with her. This baby is smart. She'll turn around and kick the rubbermaid out of the way then go on through.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Can you use a small gate just for that 3' space. Maybe a tension one with a board or something solid between it and the pack and play?
    I bought a heavy duty baby gate that can be used in a circular shape or all in a line that would fit the whole gap without the pack n play. It was 60 bucks, but I used the heck out if it. Then I consigned it. Maybe call consignment stores to let them know you are looking for one?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I bought a lightweight baby gate that was extra wide so it would fit the door between my kitchen and dining room. The gate frame was made of aluminum, but the middle part was fabric mesh. It was a pain to put up and take down, so I just left it up for a couple of years, and those of us who could stepped over it. I can't remember the name, but I got it on Amazon, and I think I searched under the key words "Extra wide baby gate."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Folding table on its edge, piece of plywood, piece of fabric and tension rods (less effective but cuter imo)...I had the same dilemma with my puppy and got a wire pen that opened to stretch across the room.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

•     So something like this is out of the question?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2013