I am waking up with headaches?? What could be the cause??

I wake up at once/twice a week with a headache, above my right eye, top of my head and lower mid neck area. It has been going on about 2-3 months. In past had headaches but never this often. I have TMJ, I grind my teeth at night. I am sweating at night. My period stopped 4 yrs. ago but occasionally spot.
It has been awhile since an eye exam and a good physical. I am not drinking fluids as I should, only drink 5 glasses a day, usually hot tea. I drink coffee in the morning. Anywhere up to 3 cup a day. I wear glasses but lately I prefer not to wear them. I am tired more than usual. I hate going to the doctor and would like to avoid going if at all possible. I am not young anymore, but to me 49 is too soon to be falling apart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Health

• I think it would be best to talk over all your concerns & symptoms w/ your Dr. They know your medical history & can run the appropriate tests. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I can relate when you say you do not like going to the doctor...but if you are not feeling right, the smart thing to do is to check out why....49 is way too young to be falling apart...take care of the one and only body you got and it will take care of you....

Answer by older at 8:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Dehydration, glasses that aren't right, stiffness from an old pillowor one that is too soft or firm, allergies, there are a million reasons why you might be getting headaches. Life's too short to be in pain. Go to the doctor, for heaven's sake.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Have you tried a new pillow or going to a chiropractor? Chiro is my first stop, for me waking with headaches means my upper back and neck need adjustment and/or it's time for a more supportive pillow. Drink more water too.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• not sure of the cause, but I've heard that waking up with headaches is a bad thing. You should talk to a doctor
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I'm going to say stress, related to the TMJ.
    Women carry their tension in the shoulders, neck and jaw, and this will translate into headaches.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• High blood pressure!!! That's why most heart attacks happen in the morning. Your BP rises just before you wake up. Get checked ASAP!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• There could be any number of things going on including sleeping on a mattress that simply is not support you properly, to a bad pillow
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Cut back the coffee a bit, up the intake of water, get fresh air and walk, check your pillow and make sure you are comfortable at night. Could be as simple as dehydration or needing to wear those glasses. I wouldn't worry. Make the changes you should make and then see how you feel. If it doesn't go away, check in with the doc. If it's a female related problem, watch your diet, cut out loads of salt and processed sugar.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• I get headaches in the areas you mentioned when I am having sinus issues caused by my allergies. See your Dr. to discuss what might be causing them. Write down a journal of things you eat and drink. Take not of what kind of pollens are high I. Your area when you are having particularly bad headaches. I think weather.com has a pollen counter.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2013