What does it mean to be a licensed daycare?

Heather172011

Asked by Heather172011 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It means that they have followed all the regulations set by the state and the state has approved them as a licensed daycare.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• So is it bad to send my 2 and a half year old to a daycare that is not licensed? He has never done daycare and my anxiety is through the roof LOL as a mom you must know.
    Heather172011

Comment by Heather172011 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• The daycare, either in-home or In a facility, has been inspected and lives up to state and county regulations in areas such as adult to child ratios, nutrition, etc.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Thanks all of you! You all are BRILLIANT!
    Heather172011

Comment by Heather172011 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• depends- I mean if it's a place you feel comfortable with then try it

if they have more than 2 or 3 kids though- I'd say to make sure it is licensed

I watched kids in my home, had a playroom and all - but I only had 2-3 kids at any given time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• She watches one child from 8-12 and then she would watch my son on second shift hours. You see I would for an airline and my husband and I both do second shift. I have called 3 of her references and they all rant and rave about her cant say enough good things but due to the fact my son have never done dar care my anxiety is through the roof and my son is 2 and a half so he really isnt talking all that much to say if he hates it or likes it thats all.
    Heather172011

Comment by Heather172011 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• if the references tell you good things -then I wouldn't worry.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• If the references were good, I'd stop worrying. And that's coming from a woman who distrusts home daycares.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Licensing basically means approved by the state, and legal. Sending your kid to an unlicensed one - depends. If it's just a private babysitter deal, with a couple of kids, if you're fine with it and think she'd take good care of your kid, go for it. But I know in my state, over a certain number of kids (I can't remember the number, I think it might be 3 or 5), they MUST be licensed. And I would be wary of sending my kid to one that has to be licensed and isn't. The licensing doesn't cost much and is really pretty simple to get, so if they didn't do it, I'd wonder if it would really be a good idea to trust my child's care to them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2013