do you think the elohim or gods

AD1968

Asked by AD1968 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• If I had a nickel for
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• LOL at PGA.

Say whaaat?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2013

• Ummm... yes? No? Oh hell, I have no clue what you're even saying.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Uhm, I'm not sure what you're asking.

I believe there is only one God, and I do believe that Elohim was a name a certain group of people called that God. Elohim could have been a plural word. If true, this wouldn't be surprising, as there are polytheistic and monolatrous elements in the Bible, and hardcore monotheism doesn't seem to be evident until Jeremiah. Earlier texts, like Genesis, which are comprised of multiple accounts to begin with (there are three Jewish sources in Genesis: J, E, and P. J from the southern kingdom of Judah. E a century later in Israel, and P represents the Priestly document. There are also influences from external cultures present in the themes and content of the texts) would probably show more evidence of the polytheistic roots and influences, although the plurality of Elohim could represent the "royal we," in regard to reference to an angelic audience, or even just a kind of royal tense.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• And the question is...?
    Because you should know the word "Elokim" doesn't mean a plural. It's just one of the names of G-d, the name associated with His attribute of creation, might, rulership and justice, which is why it's the first name of G-d that appears in the Bible.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• 42
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2013