Why does my son hate when there are people talking more loudly than usual ?

He also could not handle his preschool program singalong

Gigi000

Asked by Gigi000 at 7:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I also hate when people are talking louder than usual. What's it mean? I HATE people talking more louder than usual.... It doesn't have to mean anything.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• It means he doesn't like people talking loudly. I don't like it either. Why yell at me when you can talk to me in a normal tone of voice? Why shout to be heard over others when you can wait for them to finish and speak normally?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• He may have extremeley sensitive hearing. You might have him tested at some point, but I wouldn't think it is anything abnormal.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• It *can* be a sensory problem, which is sometimes a marker for an autism spectrum disorder. My son also didn't like loud noises or music. It was one of the first signs of his Asperger's Syndrome, but we didn't know it.

Not a bad idea to ask for an evaluation.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Sensory issues like that were one of the early signs of Asperger's in my stepson, too. Not that your son necessarily has anything wrong--I don't lie loud voices and noisy situations and I don't have Asperge's--but it might not hurt to keep the possibility in the back of your mind in case other signs turn up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• It can mean he has sensory issues, but it can also mean that he just doesn't like it to loud. My son Archer hates loud noises and people talking loudly. He is always the first to yell HUSH! to everyone
    Pay920

Answer by Pay920 at 2:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2013