Just how it is written, what is the meaning of it?

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. 17 These things I command you, that you love one another.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Second verse same as the first
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• huh
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• It seems pretty self explanatory to me. Love one another as I have loved you.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• so basically treat everybody you wanted to be treated?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• *yawn*

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Sure, but don't be fooled into thinking this is strictly Christian dogma:

Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself. - Islam

Tsekung asked, "Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?" Confucius replied, "It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you." - Confuciansim

For a state that is not pleasant or delightful to me must also be to him also; and a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another? - Buddhism
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated. - Jainsim

One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself. This is the essence of morality. All other activities are due to selfish desire. - Hinduism
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• so basically treat everybody you wanted to be treated? NO that is not what it says at all. It says to "keep My commandments" and by keeping them the rest will follow. Christ loved us all but he called on us to follow his commandments which meant to repent of our sins and turn from them. If you go by treating people how you want to be treated then it has a whole range of how people are treated instead of how God would like us to treat others.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• I actually researched it further...its the actual conversation between GOD and the disciples
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2013