what to say when your daughter says i want to kill myself

she has a very bad temper,won"t listen

jessie817

Asked by jessie817 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• how old is she and has she said it before?
    is she in therapy at all -or has she ever been?
    what has happened to make her say such a thing?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Be there for her when she wants to talk about it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• You investigate why she said that, go deep, but do not ignore.....

Answer by older at 1:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• what to say when your daughter says i want to kill myself

"What's wrong"?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Did she say it in the heat of an emotional conversation, or just as a casual offhand comment? Has she said it before? Has she attempted to harm herself before? Was she lashing out at you, trying to get you to do something by resorting to emotional blackmail? Usually people who are serious about suicide don't go around talking about it, but it would be wise to get her into counseling if at all possible, or at least talk to her seriously and find out what's going on. If she's in immediate danger, you can take her to the emergency room. It's not easy to get these days, but sometimes a person will be put in a psychiatric ward for evaluation, usually no more than 72 hours.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Oh, the 72-hour hold is only if a person is an immediate threat to herself or others.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• First thing I would say is ,why do you want to kill your self?

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• I'd simply ask WHY? Do you hate everyone so much that you would want everyone to grieve over your passing? My own daughter said this one time and when I said this it lead to a conversation about all the people who love and care about her. Turns out it was all about a boy....she had forgotten about everyone else loving her for who she was when she was upset that he broke up and told tales about her. She needed to be reminded that there were lots of people who loved her and would miss her if something were ever to happen to her.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• I agree with the others and ask her why she would want to kill herself. If she says oh I don't really or shrugs it off ask her why she would say something like that if she didn't mean it.
    If things are going wrong in her life maybe you can help her to brainstorm on how she can make it better.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• talk to her like other said ......
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 4:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2013