Not quite sure

Hello mothers and mothers-to-be (like me)
I am now 22 weeks along (whew time is flyin) and i am feeling the lil popcorn kiks in my lower belly. There are 2 main questions i am curious about: First, how was your experience with the glucose test? i heard it's optional but idk if i should do it or not (if it is optional) and second when do the heavy hard kiks come in? So i can be somewhat expecting them and not freak out too much

CollegeMommy89

Asked by CollegeMommy89 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Sorry, it's been 11 yrs since I have given birth. But I hear the book, "What to expect when you're expecting" pretty much covers everything you could want to know. Congrats & GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• I failed the glucose test with my second. Good think I took it... I was dx'ed whit gestational diabetes... when NEEDED to be treated!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• The glucose test was no big deal. And I remember the kicks were more severe earlier rather than later. AS baby grows, he runs out of room and goes from kicking to squirming.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• I would take the test when your dr says you should. GD is serious and you want to catch it sooner rather than later. Make sure you have some food ready for when you are done. You have to have no food for a while before and during, that is the very unfun part. Congratulations!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Thanks...i read online alil about it it said you can drink water tho before the test...my OB said i cant drink/eat 1-2hrs before the test and like a hour after so im kinda confused i dont want to sabatoge the results by drinking water/eating but having a dry mouth isnt cool either!
    CollegeMommy89

Comment by CollegeMommy89 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• suffer the dry mouth for the most accurate results
    you dont want a false positive or false negative
    both could put the baby in jeapordy
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Glucose test is nothing. It tastes yucky, like sweet flat soda. It's more boring than anything so bring something to do for an hour.
    I don't remember when the big kicks started coming. I think because they just gradually got stronger so it wasn't like overnight or anything. Toward the end it gets tight in there and there isn't as much room to get a good kick, but they do pushe their feet around and that can be uncomfortable. Nothing you can't live with though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• Listen to your ob about the test! I could not eat or drink 1-2 hrs before and after the test until it was complet.... As for it being optional I think that's if you've had multiple pregnancies ... I have had two test both were fine and didn't bother me :) I would do them but that jmo! Good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• I hated the glucose test. The sugar rush was awful. But it passed, and I passed. The movements for me were nothing to freak out about. They got annoying, but not painful.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2013

• My glucose was not optional. It tests for gestational diabetes. I liked it and I passed. If you fail the first one, you will take a second one. If you fail a second time you will be put on a diabetic diet from what I've heard. Power kicks when baby gets a little bigger. Actually with all the sweet from the glucose test you might get a few in there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2013